Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

After laparoscopic gallbladder surgery.

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
Hello. About 3 weeks ago, I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. Besides the expected recouping pains, I started to have sharp right rib pain. This has lasted for 4 days now. Thought maybe it's just my organs healing. But now I have sharp tightness in my chest, too. So severe that it hurts to breathe.

Is this normal after gallbladder surgery? Or should I be concerned? No fever, occasional diarrhea, and I can eat/swallow. I'm a little nauseous, and seem to have more gas/burping than usual. I've been taking IB for pain. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2011
Chest Pain Answer A18646
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. What you are suffering from could be post cholescystectomy syndrome. In this, there’s persistent pain and associated nausea/vomiting.

This occurs primarily due to either the adhesions which are formed in the area of the surgery or due to the dysfunction of the sphincter of oddi. Since the reservoir of the bile i.e. gall bladder has been surgically removed, it results in a continuous flow of the bile into the intestine resulting in gastritis & esophagitis. The sphincter of oddi dysfunction is treated by using high doses of calcium channel blockers or nitrates. ERCP is a procedure which is done to look for the cause of the post cholecystectomy syndrome and is also used for the treatment.

This is for medical information only and for the right diagnosis & treatment, I’ll suggest consulting your surgeon. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.