Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

afraid to sleep, not suicidal, just extremely scared!

I'm afraid to go to sleep. It's not the sleeping, it's the way I feel when I get up. I have feelings of unreality and derealization that scare the hell out of me. I can't make my mind understand that it is just anxiety and I scare myself with my thoughts. Does anyone else have this problem? I feel alone and I don't know how to deal with it! I don't want to kill myself, I just don't want to suffer. Again, not suicidal, just extremely scared!!! I would appreciate any advice!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 21st, 2015
Experienced User
Hi daryld,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Why not consider seeing a clinician. It is important that you tell a professional about your condition. Do feel any anxiety when you wake up? Do you have night terrors or nightmares?

Don't give up hope, I know that right now you have no idea what's going on and how you're going to deal with it. But after therapy you'll feel better. Before you sleep try doing some meditation, drink some water, and do some breathing exercises. I hope this helps.
|

replied October 21st, 2015
Experienced User
Thank you for answering me! I saw a psychiatrist today. He wants to switch my medication. I told him about the sleep thing. He said it's part of the anxiety. I am a Christian, so I pray alot to get to sleep. I usually get up in the morning with anxiety. As soon as I open my eyes, I feel it coursing through my body. And I just don't feel like I'm completely in my body or head when I get up in the morning, if that makes any sense. So, it scares me alot. I have tried hot baths before bed, deep breathing, things like that. I'm hoping this gets better!
|

replied November 3rd, 2015
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes, keep on hoping.
|

replied November 17th, 2015
Experienced User
Maybe the reason you wake up having anxiety is because when you go to bed at night your body and mind is still with unresolved stress and still racing with anxiety. What I actually found helpful in this matter is some herbal alternatives. Medications can have a lot of different side effects that's why I'm not very fond of it.

Before sleeping make sure your body is relaxed and your mind is clear. You can do this by drinking some herbal teas and supplements. Lavender tea and chamomile tea can help relax your body. You can also try Endoca hemp products. They are great in calming ones nerves and it also has anxiolytic properties that greatly reduce anxiety. Melatonin also is a supplement that promotes sleep.

These are just a few of the many things you can do. Sleep is important in recovering from anxiety issues. So make sure you have enough of it.
|
Tags: Anxiety, Stress
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...