Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Afraid I might have Lung Cancer.

Dear Doctor
I am a 26 year old male from the Netherlands.

Since I was 18 I started smoking.
I had been smoking pretty regularly untill my 24th when I stopped.
Then, almost a year ago I foolishly started again.

After that I had the new years resolution to stop again and so I did.

I might also mention that I am overweight and that the prime reason for the first time to stop was that I had suffered a near heartattack for wich I am getting medication now(Sotalol)

Since then I have lost quite some weight though. Going from 154kg to 117kg

Now then, on to my complaints.
I have several spots on my back that started to hurt a few days after I had my last cigarrete.(I provided a crappy picture with this topic to show you where it hurts) I went to my doctor with this complaint who basically dismissed my fear of cancer by saying that it was just a back pain.
(Picture of the painful spots http://i51.[image removed]/55056t.jpg )

On one handI can not fault her for this. Seeing as I am somewhat of a worrywart I have been to my doctor for many things that I thought to be dangerous wich turned out to be nothing serious. I kind of feel like the boy who cried wolf.

So when I asked her to atleast look at me she took a stethoscope and listenend to me breathing in and out, and said that my lungs sounded cleac.

Now, don't get me wrong, she's the doctor and I am not, but I never heared of a situation where a doctor could hear someone's cancer.

In any case, the pain has gotten worse and now I also feel a burning/sharp pain when burping(Wich, on a sidenote. I do alot latley) and when I am jogging.

For the past ew days this has been driving me nuts, but seeing as it is friday today and my doctors office is closed already I don't know what to do.

As I said before I am a big worrywart, and if I have to wait untill monday to see my doctor again I might go crazy.

Kind regards
Vyomesh
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 3rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied May 11th, 2011
You cannot hear cancer but you can hear distinct changes in breath sounds that could indicate problems in the lungs. However if she did hear something there is no way to tell whats causing it...only that there is a difference in your breath sounds from normal. Breath sounds can change for many reasons and certain sounds are indicative of certain problems but there are none that are specific to lung cancer. Early stages of lung cancer are relativly symptom free or vague. I doubt that your back pain is from cancer.
Solatol is a high blood pressure medication. Im not sure what you meant a "near heart attack". A heart attack is caused by lack of blood flow to the heart itself. At 26 unless there is some underlying problem its doubtfull you had a true heart attack. Although high blood pressure can sometimes cause chest pain.

The pain when burping is probably acid reflux. Try some Pecid AC or something along those lines. Excericse can make reflux worse. Try taking it an hour or so before you excercise.
|

replied May 13th, 2011
Hello Peter and thank you for your reply.
I have since been to the doctor who was sick herself when I went so her replacement gave me muscle relaxant to see if that worked.

Truth to be told I am still not relieved.

Because since a few days I have been going "Ahem" a lot.

Sorry if this sounds vague, but English is not my native language.

it's like when you clear your troath because it has slime in it. But I have to do it constantly.

Tomorrow I will have to start with the muscle relaxants. I hope that they will help.

And to anwser the question on the "near heart attack"
One night 2 years ago I felt an immense pressure on the chest area, this caused me to panic since I thought I was having a heart attack. So I called the doctor post ans them came to see me and gave me medication(Sotalol, Hydrochlorothiazide, and acetylsalicylic acid) and told me to go to my regular doctor who told me to lose weight in addition to taking those pills.

I have been on them ever since, and I have been losing weight ever since.

Hope this clears things up.
|
Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....