Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

!! Affect on Developing brain of preemie overdosed on Morphine!

Hi Im 28. I was born a preemie, had under developed lungs. My question is this, I was OD'D on Morphine while a preemie. I would have died if I was not on the ventilator that breathed for me. The Doctor ( who was an Intern) wrote the amount to give, and did not include a decimal in the dosage to be given. The Nurse that administered the Morphine that OD'D me should have questioned the amount but didn't. From when I was young growing up till now 28, I had hardly no energy at all, I have a hard time functioning like others. I have developed depression from the lack of energy (and being able to feel happy and live life as normal and natural as possible). Could have the Morphine Overdose while a preemie affected my brain development or anything that affects my energy? Like as in my brain doesn't release some chemical right. or doesn't release correct amounts or just doesn't do certain natural things like it should, (I have no idea, that's why im asking). I have chronic back pain and do take pain meds. I do not abuse them, but notice when I take my pain meds I feel a sense of feeling natural, I'm able to function right, feel better, express emotions better. on and on. Its bad cause of how all these drugs are being abused today and is a BIG issue, it makes it bad and hard for the people that are good and legit, and serious that need those kinds of meds. Most doctors would probably say its just the narcotic making me feel good as in a (buzz, high,) just whatever, but the truth is that it makes me feel natural. Like as in it allows me to have a life, function, have the necessary energy to keep up with daily life (work, relationships with friends/girlfriends, on and on). All this made me think about how I was OD'D on morphine, and maybe that's what has happened. the pain meds made me think that could be a possibility. just wanting to find a answer, (I in no way abuse my meds, I truly have chronic back pain) I just want an answer on if what Ive explained could be a possibility, and what to do. I have suffered all these years (pretty much all my life) trying to figure out what is wrong. Its the energy part that I need. I have tried antidepressants, a psychiatrist, other methods like exercising, and even just trying to just do (push through it). Just didn't know if my brain has been affected in any way to cause my life to be like it is. Thanks for your time. Angelo.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2013
Hello,
Prematurely born babies are at high risk of developing many different conditions. I would not blame this fact and a single overdose for subsequent addiction to morphine. If you feel normal on drugs that means only one thing-addiction. Morphine is not a stimulant. Any other person would would rather feel sleepy but not energetic.
By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.