Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Advice to fight anxiety and depression

User Profile
How do I convince my girlfriend that she maybe needs counseling? She has been battling anxiety and depression her entire life, and just about 3-4 years ago, she came to terms with the reality that her father molested her. She came to me about it 2 months ago (I was the first person she told) and then her best friend. It's like she's crying for help. But she thinks she can solve this depression herself, and that I as well as her friends can do nothing to help her be happy.

I'm worried about her, and I just feel as if she'll continue to carry the burden of her father as well as the fact that her mother has been married several times. These are both, in my eyes, really pulling her down. Is there any advice? Can I suggest? When I do, she becomes very upset and thinks I'm crossing a line.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2009
Anxiety and Stress Answer A7764
You would like to know whether there is any advice that you can suggest to her in order to help her fight with the anxiety and depression.

Molesting is abusing somebody sexually. It is rather common in different families. Women who have been molested while they were children may suffer from psychological difficulties such as anxiety, depression, fear from being hurt or may have difficulties in relationships and communication with people.

If you tell your girlfriend that she needs counseling, she may get upset and start believing that you want to make it look as if she is crazy. The best way to help her is to convince her that you would never harm her and you would never do something like that. When she feels down you may try to do things together (like going out, seeing friends etc.) that will keep her thoughts busy for a while so that she doesn’t think on what bothers her. If you really think that a conversation with a doctor will be helpful then you may see your doctor together and start the conversation there.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to provide you with medical information here. I am not able to give you medical advice online. Please contact your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider such as a psychiatrist to learn more about treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.