Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Advanced HIV syndrome and Acute Conversion ?

Hi there...I just found out that I'm HIV positive. The doctor said that I have something called "Advanced HIV syndrome" and that I'm showing signs of "Acute Conversion". He said that this was the 2nd positive test result i received so there's no mistaking I'm positive. He took more blood and said that he wanted to confirm my counts before he told me what they were...is this normal? I said why does that mean and he said that my counts were fairly high. Of course, I was in no condition to discuss this with him at the time but now I'd like to know what I'm up against. Being so close to the holidays means that I probably won't find out until well into the New Year. It isn't fair...I should have a right to know my test results, shouldn't I? Can anyone confirm or deny this? And what is Advanced HIV syndrome and Acute Conversion?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Northernboy on December 24th, 2009 04:37 PM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Yeah,I think your results should have been given to you if you wanted them..I know seroconversion syndrome but never heard of conversion? Check out this site,it might help
http://aids.about.com/cs/conditions/a/synd rome.htm
I have had AIDS for over a decade and I am doing great.I have friends who have been HIV + for 30 years!!! As long as you do NOT have unprotected sex...there are many kinds of HIV so you dont want to get others...lots of people think since they already have it they can have sex without protection.That is false.You can get another strain so be safe. As long as you take your meds,exercise and eat and sleep right then you will live to a ripe old age.Sorry I dont know what Advanced HIV
syndrome and Acute Conversion is...Google it and maybe that will tell you something.Dont worry.And if you aren't happy with your doctor then change doctors..I did!
|
Users who thank homerx for this post: Northernboy 

You mean to tell me that I can get multiple strains of HIV? I don't even know the strain I currently have!!!
|

User Profile
hi
but take the HIV again may be doctors make a mistake in your`s.
i wish best wishes for you.
have a good time.
|
Users who thank suzane69 for this post: Northernboy 

User Profile
Supporter
Acute: Of abrupt onset, in reference to a disease. Acute often also connotes an illness that is of short duration, rapidly progressive, and in need of urgent care.

i stumbled across a website that talks about acute hiv seroconversion. the word acute is very important because this website goes into detail about what it means.
it's important for you to educated yourself completely so you can do everything to help yourself.
if you need someone to talk to i can be your friend.
|
Users who thank starship33 for this post: Northernboy  homerx 

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Northernboy wrote:
You mean to tell me that I can get multiple strains of HIV? I don't even know the strain I currently have!!!
I do know the virus can mutate from host to host and change...thats why even though you and your partner may both be positive you still should use protection.
|

I was told that once the virus was in a cell, it would ward off any other viruses. OMG!!! That is soo scary!!!
|

User Profile
Supporter
My son was born with low white blood cells, and he is now having a problem with it again. white blood cells fights off the bad guys, and if it's low, it would be hard for him to fight off infections, germs and diseases.

We have to deal with the cards that is handed to us. I know you have to go through a stage of acceptance, but please research everything there is to know about this and how you can fight it. know the name of the drugs that people use and how effective it is. i would even find support groups so i can be surrounded by people who understands.

Get out a note book- write down what you can do to boost your immune system. what drugs, exercise-food- what herbs. can you take herbs and medication at the same time. what herbs boots immunity.

You can live a happy healthy life!!!!!!!!
|
Users who thank starship33 for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2009
Community Volunteer
ServiceU,I love your warm words of encouragement and knowledge!
Northernboy , the virus is very manageable with medication and if the medication you take starts to not work then you can change it ... there are many many HIV meds these days so you should be fine.
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....