Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Adrenalin affects hypoglycema adversely

I have REACTIVE hypoglycemia. I heard that stress can lower blood sugar as well as eating certain things. Yesterday I had a VERY stressful morning, and adrenaline was released like it's supposed to be in stressful situations. But later on it was VERY difficult to concentrate, even speak properly (spoke extremely slowly). Still somewhat difficult today (writing is easier), and I still feel adrenaline in my system. But I DON'T feel the same way I do when I eat something I shouldn't by accident. Any insights? What can I do, do I constantly have to avoid stressful situations so I don't have a bad reaction to my own adrenalin? I don't know any of the details of how that works. It has sometimes been very difficult to concentrate, and now I at least see the connection.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Tommy325
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2016
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Stress doesn't cause reactive hypoglycemia. In fact during stress the hormones like cortisol are released which promotes a higher blood sugar especially in case of flight or fight reaction situations. Based on your history, it appears to be generalized anxiety disorder which can be managed in consult with a psychiatrist. Behavioral cognitive therapy and SSRIs can be employed as tools of treatment.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|

replied November 10th, 2016
Experienced User
stress and anxiety can play havoc with reactive hypoglycemia, often blood sugar increases as a coping mechanism but then blood sugar soon drops after the stressful situation has subsided.

reactive hypoglycemia can contribute to an anxiety disorder, SSRI's and benzos should be avoided unless completely necessary. CBT and stress reduction will be really important in helping control your stress and anxiety. blood sugar swings places great demands on the body. the most important thing if you have reactive hypoglycemia is diet. first rule eliminate ALL sugar to begin with.

need any help with diet let me know
|

replied November 11th, 2016
Thanks so much Tommy, your reply is helpful. Also, in case you're interested in this information, I recently discovered that old generation corticosteroid nasal sprays (yes, nasal sprays) also have a negative effect on blood sugar. The one I was taking for years has a bioavailability of 44% even though it's a spray! Also, many supplements are naturally high-glycemic, and things like epinephrine as well. It wasn't easy to find these things out, this important information needs to be WAY better known by the medical community. And thank you for knowing about REACTIVE hypoglycemia. Smile
|
Tags: Stress
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.