Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

ADHD med besides Adderall

Is it reasonable to ask my doctor about trying an ADHD medicine when I did not like Adderall? I know it sounds kind of a bizarre question but I took a genesight test to see how I would react to meds and it says every ADHD med is in the middle or "moderate gene-drug interaction" category. I want to see if it would help with ADHD but I did not have a good reaction to Adderall quick release tabs. I realize I should talk to my doctor as I haven't seen him in like 2 months at least. He's been out of the office and I had college finals to deal with. I also thought about maybe suggesting Wellbutrin or concerta but I really don't know. My OLD pscyhiatrist suggested Vyvanse which I REALLY like the sound of but with the eating trouble I think Adderall XR or Dexedrine would be good. I DID take a genesight test and it said that all stimulants are in my "middle category." I want to see what my doctor would say but as I have had to wait like 3 months soon to see him I'm getting really inpatient. I'm really hyperactive but not as much inattentive. My brother takes Adderall XR and does fantastic! I think I might want to try something different though as Adderall didn't work all that great with me. It's hard to concentrate and do well in school and my grades aren't doing all that great.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile guest57037

replied August 29th, 2017
Treatment for ADHD disorder is usually based on two important components such as medication and psychotherapy inventions. But medication alone cannot help a person to recover from this disorder. Earlier, the only treatment for this disorder was a medication that used to bring quick change in a person, but it had side effects on many people as well.

There is a new and effective ADHD treatment introduced recently that is termed as Brain Training that does not require the use of medication. You may avail this kind of ADHD treatment in CA and various other parts of the world as well.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. You can request your doctor for the stimulants. But let them decide whether you need them or just behavioural therapy and supportive care would suffice.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.