Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

ADHD-Concurring with Depression

Not wanting to type all my complaints but I'm not doing so great with ADHD symptoms. I am taking vyvanse 50 mg right now for ADHD. I am still not focusing very well these days. It wears off which I know is really common for medicines to do, but it is especially difficult on the days I don't exercise or have a lot of activity since I have really low stimulation in my brain then. I don't know how to properly refer to it, but I do well when I'm active and receiving stimuli from the environment around me whether it's games, music, exercise, etc. My doctor is trying to help me figure things out that I see on a regular basis. I have tried Concerta 36 mg (methylphenidate ER 36 mg) and did "okay" but I felt like the symptoms were still present. Is there a way I could see someone that truly specializes in ADHD? I am talking someone with profound knowledge in the area that can help me. I may require more medicine, but I also want insight from a trained professional and not someone just randomly telling me advice over the internet. This is a serious thing for me and I am frustrated that very few people seem to understand just how difficult it can be for me. I am not mad, but rather just really wanting help but I do not seem to be able to find much within my friends, family, distant friends, etc. My counselor(s) I have (depending where I am at at the time) do seem to know some about ADHD, but one has ADHD while the other does research on it a lot. I am still not satisfied with this though as I truly and honestly need more information about what I can do to help this beyond medicine and the more obviously known ways of coping that are applied to virtually every mental illness. I am a 21 year old male with a brother and father both diagnosed with ADHD. My diagnosis is "ADHD combined type presentation." My difficulties include trouble reading prolonged texts, difficulty avoiding fidgeting throughout the day whilst sitting in class, trouble sitting still for longer than 15 minutes at a time. I proceed from task to task to task in a fashion that seems like I am doing many things at once. My coping skills I've tried are exercising (cardio and lifting), stretching (yoga modified), light therapy at different times of the day, socializing myself more with others around me, as well as avoidance of all alcohol and cigarettes.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Apart from medications, you need more focus on cognitive behavioural therapies and environmental therapies. Psychotherapies sessions and frequent follow ups are mandatory.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.