Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Addiction to codine I need help!

Hi, im a 49 year old female. i have been on t3's for a very long time, 5-7 years i take up to 15 a day' 5 at a time in the am 5 in the afternoon 5 before dinner, i want to stop!! i think im now just taking them because my mind is telling me to out of habit & my addiction, but im scared i want to stop cold turkey but i read it could be fatal, i did it years ago & i knew it would be terrible it was but i did it!, i have arthritis & it came back worse afew years ago' so i thought i could take t3's again with no trouble stupid of course, my question is im scared because my doctor may not agree to tapper off i may have to go cold turkey. so i wanted to know if there was little things i could do to help with the withdrawals? i get sever stomach cramps, tinkling all over, & no energy, i thought imodium & vitimans might help' I was also told there is something i could buy to flush out my body from the toxins please i need help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 30th, 2012
Experienced User
ive never really had an addicton problem but i see nobody has answered you so ill try my best to help you. maybe you should talk to your doctor and get him to prescribe you a different pain medicine. if you dont want to tell him you have become addicted to the t3's then you could tell him they arent working anymore. and i wouldnt suggest cold turkey because like you said it could be dangerous. i hope ive helped you and i wish you the best of luck.
|

replied November 24th, 2012
Great post!Chemical dependency (drug addiction and alcoholism) may appear to be a dangerous habit but it is just one of the ways that person uses to cope up with an underlying problem which is more serious than a mere habit. The best treatment for chemical dependency starts with a detox program to remove the symptoms, followed by dealing with the underlying causes of addiction. Unless these issues are addressed, these core issues shall continue to harm a person, trigger relapse and the whole process of addiction shall never end. These underlying issues can be addressed through a good treatment approach that addresses the physical and psychological symptoms of addiction. A person should also learn basic life skills to positively cope with things that trigger relapse. Sober houses, halfway houses and good treatment facilities have sound and established methods of dealing with different types of addiction. Enrolling in these facilities will facilitate focused and effective treatment. You can also checka directory of over 2 0,000 treatment centers, recovery doctors, halfway and sober houses. Don’t worry, the site isn’t selling anything and it is a safe site. You can also find the comprehensive list of AA meetings in this link:
|

replied November 26th, 2012
Experienced User
Thanks for this post!
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....