Hello i am oh so new to this forum. I have been searching the net trying to find a family for some support. I am 27 and for the past 10 years i have had bad addictive behavior. I did hard drugs and any drug for 4 years and have been clean from hard drugs for 6 years.But the pot has never left my side. I am an active smoker who smokes at least 3 times a day.
I am currently in recovery for codependency.. I had a lot of problems with men and always made the wrong choices. It's all from poor self esteem.
I have made the decision of quitting Monday is my last day. It doesn't seem like it's going to happen but it will. I am scared and nervous as hell and don't wan to quit. But my mind is so clouded and the consequences are so big. I want to go to school and fully recover and see the reality of life. Rather then be so stupified. Weed is such a big obstacle that i see myself sinking or running in circles. i have never quit for more then a month. I hope to find support and i know i will face withdrawals. For i smoke in the morning and if i don't i am going insane. I know i will have to take some xanax here and there. Because my anxiety is so out of control....
does anyone have advice?

Thank you and God bless,
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Pot addiction is probably why you have such anxiety issues. Most people think it just calms you down, but it can actually do the opposite, especially in certain people and when you become addicted to it.

People think pot is a safe and harmless drug that is not addictive, but that's not true. For some people, it can be very addictive. It may be too difficult to do this on your own.

You said you are in recovery from other drugs? Did you go through a program? This is probably your best bet when it comes to this addiction, especially because a part of you doesn't want to quit, mostly because you seem scared. But you don't have to do this by yourself. There are other people going through the exact same thing you are and there are doctors that specialize in addiction medicine and recovery.

I would look into working a program, whether it is 12 step or whatever is available. Find what will work for you. It can be inpatient or outpatient. Do you go to meetings? If so, there are meetings for drug addiction and sometimes even specifically for pot addiction. This will help your long-term sobriety. Get a sponsor who has been through what you are going through. You can lean on that person, talk to them day or night when you are feeling an urge. Wouldn't that be nice rather than having to go it alone?

Do some research and find a program or group in your area and start going and talking to people.

It's not going to be easy, but with a program and support group, you can make it easier on yourself. You aren't alone--just remember that.
|

replied June 5th, 2009
THANK YOU,
I am so glad when i get a response.... Well i believe that pot has everything todo with my anxiety. Maybe it's just shutting up my addict for a lil bit when i use rather then helping anything. I need to catch myself because i am so quick to think it's ok. I know all about recovery but i never was in recovery for the other stuff. I quick cold and had enough willpower and had suffered enough to not go back. i basically looked into the net to find sites and places where to go to talk to people. I wanted some suggestions on what to do with my anxiety. I will be attending meetings starting monday.
|

replied June 6th, 2009
i get anxiety alot too, and whenever i do its always difficult to calm myself down. some of the things i have found that have helped are:

working out or playing a sport like basketball where i can focus completely on the game and channel all my nervous energy

yoga and meditation, complete with candles and incense. there are so many good meditation books you can get to learn more!

get out of the house. whether that means going on a walk, playing with the dog, meeting up with some friends or even just going for an aimless drive listening to my favorite music

and of course, some xanax doesn't when it gets too bad Wink just try not to over do it. if these techniques don't work for you, just go to your doc and explain the situation. there are plenty of other less addictive meds you can get for anxiety.

i used to be heavily addicted to weed too, and i was forced to quit because i got a DUI and had to submit to weekly drug tests. find a support group! your not alone, and it does get easier. good luck!!!
|

replied June 11th, 2009
well i was addicted too and that was terrible but my family helped me a lot to get through this - now I am a designer and have enough money to be happy without pot!
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....