Medical Questions > Parenting > Preteens Forum

Addicted to eating socks/string.

I'm 14, and I am addicted to eating string, or cutting socks into thin strips then eating those. How can I stop, and how will this affect my long term health?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2014
thank you for asking
these are obsessive troubles and need a little psychiatric support to get rid of. you can stop with a will power as the most important weapon. you need a psychotherapist for helping you out. this comes under labels of perversive dietary orientations and need to be addressed.
and yes they damage the oral hygiene. imagine holding a dirty foot in your mouth. think of the hygiene. you will know the answer.
take care and visit our health center for further guidance.
|

replied July 17th, 2015
Extremely eHealthy
I would ask the MD for blood work to check for vitamin loss. This is not a safe practice. If the tests come back okay then you need to talk with someone about this. You an get a fungus infection.
|
Tags: affect
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Preteens , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.