My son is in the 6th grad now. He started taking Adderall when he was in the 2nd Grade. When summer came we decided to take him off of adderall and see if he could manage his ADHD on his on. He done pretty good but ate us out of house and home. LOL!!! He started school in August and was doing well not taking the adderall. In November He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. My question is Could Adderall have caused his diabetes? No one in my or my wife's family has Type 1 diabetes. It seems strange that he had no problems with his blood sugar levels before and now a few months after not taking Adderall he does. I'm confused. I read an artical online that In Canada that the FDA pulled Adderal from the market because of deaths, Strokes and cause of diabetes in children. I'm not sure what to think. Please help!!!! Thanks in advance for your Anwser, Suggestions, and advise.

Eddie
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dcarpent
|

replied April 30th, 2009
Diabetes management
Adderall can be one of the reasons for diabetes in your son. Main reason for diabetes is still undiscovered, but according to doctors, main reason for diabetes is family history. My elder brother is a diabetic. He lives a well disciplined life with the help of One Touch Ultra2 Blood Glucose Meter. This device helps him to manage his sugar level in the blood. I got this blood glucose meter from chemistdirect.co.uk for my brother. This site really offers a great discount on their products.
|

replied December 17th, 2009
diabetes & adderall
Hi. I've been taking adderall since third grade. It has always helped me in school. I'm 20 now and go to University of Maryland. When I was 17 I was diagnosed with diabetes. It was not too surprising because my family has a history of diabetes, but after reading your situation, adderall may be the cause. I highly doubt that there is any chemical effect of adderall that caused diabetes, but it may have been triggered by the binge eating that can occur when the adderall is not taken. Adderall is known to be a hunger depressant. When I take it, I have absolutely no hunger and have to force myself to eat. When I don't take it, I eat everything in sight as if I am compensating for the days I took it. Diabetes is a genetic disease. For those that have the gene, its just a question of when it is triggered. And although your family doesn't have a history of diabetes, it may be a recessive gene. This means it would have been passed down through the generations of both parents, waiting to find a spouse that also has the recessive gene, in which case there is a 25% chance of the children receiving both recessive genes and therefor becoming a dominant trait.
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
i think that if you have diabetes then eat well.
|

replied November 1st, 2013
No, diabetes isn't caused by adderall
I am currently conducting several studies on type 1 diabetes.. and I came across this post looking for articles. So, no adderall didn't cause the diabetes! Type 1 diabetes is caused by the immune systems attacking beta cells in the pancreas, which shuts down insulin production. This can happen slowly or quickly, and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A HISTORY OF DIABETES IN YOUR FAMILY TO GET Type 1 DIABETES. Since symptoms are very subtle and diagnosis of ADHD is not validated or reliable YET, it is more probable that the symptoms of Type 1 were misdiagnosed as ADHD. The adderall has nothing to do with developing the disease, as it is part genetic, part auto-immune in nature. It is not affected by stimulant drugs!!
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It doesn't cause diabetes. There are few studies regarding its connection with diabetes but
meta analysis are not there.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.