Is it possible to have both ADD and SAD? I'm a 24 year old male. I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder about 3 years ago, in truth I've had it for probably more like 10 but I finally got the courage up to go the doctor about it. Unfortunately the medicine that I was put on had bad side effects and so now I'm not on any medication. I was brought to the doctor about ADD when I was younger but the doctor more so just looked at me and because I was sitting still and focused, which was mostly because I was terrified about the doctor, diagnosed me as not having ADD. I still feel I have many of the symptoms associated with ADD. Its hard for me to put how I feel in words but I've looked at a lot of the ADD questionnaires and they say I'm highly likely to have ADD. At http://www.simonepstein.org/questionnaire_ may06.htm I scored a 94. I'm also really nervous about asking the doctor about ADD. I really feel I have it, but I've heard that doctors are suspicious when asking about ADD and if he doesn't want to medicate me I really don't know what else to do.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 1st, 2008
add @ sad
i have sad, adhd, and add. i know it isn't m don't be nervious or scared about telling the doc how you feel but it has to start some where and telling the doctor how you feel is the the first step. he is just a guy trying to help you feel better about your self. i took the test you mentioned and scored 106 but i know my score would be higher very easily if i was not on my meds. i know it sound strange that the doctor is the first step but it has to start somewhere and it may as well be him. think, what is the worst that could happen... and what is the best it is a win win relationship. you will be surprised how much better you could feel. even if you feel just a little better it is worth it, just like scoreing 106 out of 120. it is worth the effort, it can only get better..... the first step is the hardest but it is worth it.
sunshine51
|

replied September 14th, 2008
Experienced User
You need to talk to the doctor, bring it up that you think you do have ADD or ADHD.

I have it, I tested around 90 on the link you provided, my doctor just put me on a new medication called Methylphenidate. It is a new drug for me, last time I was on Ritalin but that drug actually made me jittery. This one I have only been on 3 days and I know it can take 2 weeks or more before it kicks in, the doctor also told me I would likely need an adjustment so I will go back in a month.

I am hoping that it makes me not so distracted and able to complete projects that I set for myself.
|

replied September 20th, 2008
Possible diagnoses include:

Conduct Disorder: - Conduct disorder is a serious condition mental illness.
Oppositional Defiant Disorder: - Oppositional Defiant Disorder(ODD) is a behavioral disorder in children and adolescents, characterized by extreme aggressiveness and defiance, as well as anger and hostility towards others. Clearly, all children at some point in their lives will show signs of aggressiveness, and the reluctance to listen to parents and other authority figures. This is a natural, normal and healthy part of the life of a growing child, and is to be reasonably expected throughout several periods of a child‘s life. However, the diagnosis of ODD is held for those children with severe behavioral issues, in which those issues appear for at least 6 months.

Good luck!
Adam
|
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...