User Profile
I have been struggling for most of my life with some strange symptoms I can pinpoint. I am a 20 year old female When I was in school, I would walk down the hallway and get this feeling that I'm really far back in my head, like everything seemed big and far away. I often felt this way when I would describe myself as "spacey". Also, I am very forgetful, lose my keys, cell phone, and wallet. I also have impulsive troubles, which lead me to a once abusive relationship, with drinking to cope, as well as using shopping to make me happy. I'm tired all the time, can't sleep because I often surf the internet and watch tv at night even when I know its getting later and won't be able to get up in the morning. I often interrupt people because I want to get my opinion out, even feeling like I'm restraining myself. My mother teases me by saying "you were born a day late and late ever since." Mostly I can manage my time well, but I'm constantly making lists, and even when I make those lists I forget

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2010
ADD and ADHD Answer A9748
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem to be concerned by behavioural symptoms which have started during school days and now are persisting into adulthood and disrupting your daily personal and social life. You have history of impulsive troubles with risk taking behaviours like abusive relationship, drinking etc. You also have a history of being hyperactive as evidenced by late night surfing and tv watching and not feeling sleepy. Impulsive behaviour is also recognised by interrupting and intruding upon others. Forgetfulness is indicative of inattention but is also seen in depression. You may fit the diagnosis of ADHD as per DSM IV classification but the final diagnosis can only be made by your doctor after detailed history and clinical interview. Anxiety and mood disorders can also coexist with ADHD. You are also susceptible to ADHD because of history of ADHD in your two younger brothers. The therapy for ADHD consists of psychostimulant medications like methylphenidate and amphetamines etc. and behavioural therapy.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.