Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

ADD/ADHD 15yr old refusing to take the tab, do we wait?

User Profile
hi doctor
need Advice. My son is 15 years and only yestday we were able to confirm he has ADHD/ADD and now ODD. Doc has priscribed Concerta 18. The issue is he his adamond and refusing to take the tab. Saying there is no problem with my heath. we tried all tricks(with Love , with strick informent with rewards) but noting works. I sure one day he will realise. My question is should me give him this with out his knowledge like multivitain or painkiller and once he is in the doze for week then disclose or wait untill he realise. Its very difficult time as parents.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2012
ADD and ADHD Answer A39159
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

I can understand your situation and know it is difficult to cope with a child with ADHD/ ODD. He might not be ready to take medications which is quite normal and acceptable.

Since it is necessary for him to take it you can give him medicatios by saying that they are some other ones and donot make him feel as if he is suffering from some disorder. Give him time and be calm and patient. Avoid any kind of struggle and arguments. Recognise his good behaviour and offer rewards. Ask him to do some yoga and meditation exercises which would relax his mind to an extent. Spend quality time with him and involve him in activities which he is fond of.

Hope this helps!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.