Medical Questions > Mental Health > PTSD Forum

AD - ONLINE TRAUMATIC STRESS STUDY - PARTICIPANTS NEEDED

The Memory, Thoughts and Coping-Strategies study of Post-traumatic stress (MTCP) is a research study looking at how memories, thoughts and coping strategies interact to prolong PTSD following a trauma. Anyone who has experienced a traumatic experience in their life is eligible to take part. The study comprises of three short questionnaires and a 'free-text' box in which you can write about your experience. The study has full ethical approval, and participation is anonymous and confidential. The success of the study will be determined by the participants who take part, as such, we would greatly appreciate your involvement.

Thank you,

Sarah Beyer

University of Sussex, working in conjunction with Dr Susan Ayers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 16th, 2010
PTSD study on memory, thoughts, and coping
It's a waste of time, and money to research memories of trauma. Thoughts of trauma. Coping strageties, etc. Traumatic memories are remembered normally. It's traumatic. Humans and animals remember life experiences, good and bad. A flashback is a memory of the past, like they use in a movie, that's it. Life threatening experiences are remembered because they are supposed to be to ensure our survival. News Flash. It's insane to believe ptsd is a mental illness brought on by "trauma." coping strageties don't mean a rats butt in the differance of why some people get ptsd and others do not. I'm not going to give away the fact. Scientists are not looking at the big universal picture of ptsd. In order for a theory to fly, everyone with ptsd has to have the same reaction. Guess what, Gary Chan received a TBI from a motorcycle accident and spent months in a coma. His brain functioned normally and before the trac was removed and he could actually speak out loud, he sang to me every word to his favorite songs, including I was born to tell you I love you. Gary doesn't remember the accident. When I first started his case, he didn't sleep for more than minutes at a time. His startle response would wake him as his arms flew into the air. Gary at 22 now suffered from high blood pressure, his blood sugar was also high, and his cholesterol levels increased. When he was uncomfortable, which happened only once for me that first night before I discovered why it occured and how to prevent it, he would shake his head from side to side, and sweat profusely. The things that helped Gary were neurofeedback/biofeedback, massage, calming exercises. When the staff at the rehab treated him like a dead man, or a child with brain damage, I asked gary to forgive them, they know not what they do. What they know about "trauma" they read from a book written by people who don't have it right to begin with. Garys brain worked, his body did not, yet. If you look at his symptoms, the answer is obvious. It blows my mind that the studies already done give the answers to ptsd. The answer is even in the name of the disease. People just don't know how to read the facts that are right in front of their nose already. That's about as insane as letting innocent young boys go to war, medicate them with drugs that make the possibility of recovery impossible, with side effects like death, diabetes, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, suicide, etc. and increase the ptsd injury to ensure a permanent injury, then tell those boys they are mentally ill. That's about as insane as studying why people remember life threatening experiences as if it's not normal to do so, and to remember them again any time a danger is present, real or perceived.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....