User Profile
Hello,

I was diagnosed two years ago with Acute Renal failure due to unknown causes. I had the symptoms of a small stroke (I was 52 at that time). I was put in the hospital and numerous tests were done...they only showed that I had something in the center of my brain that appeared to be an 'old injury' of some sort. I had no major blockages, I have no kidney disease (according to the nephrologist that I saw upon leaving). She told me that sometimes, this just 'happens'...I had toxemia many years ago (32 to be exact) when my son was born. She said it can just sneak up on you that way.

Anyway...to make a long story shorter, I have 'spells'...and, have had them since I was hospitalized. These spells include: A blurring of vision, a 'falling over'...actually, I just can't walk straight (I lean towards the right...falling over...never completely but, falling into furniture and walls, etc.) At the time of the 'spell', which can happen at ANY given moment (not doing anything in particular), I also feel confused.

Is this normal for kidney function problems? My creatnine level is 1.9...she said: 'Stage 4'. They are being monitored but, I keep forgetting to ask about these spells. Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 4 means that you have about 15-29% kidney function left. When you fall below 15%, that means it is time for renal replacement therapy such as dialysis.

Some of the sympthoms you are experiencing are not uncommon for someone heading towards ESRD (end-stage renal disease) (Stage 5). Some of which include:

• easy bleeding and bruising
• headache
• fatigue and drowsy feeling (more than normal or usual for you)
• weakness
• mental symptoms such as lowered mental alertness, trouble concentrating, confusion, seizures
• nausea, vomiting, and generally less desire to eat
• thirst
• muscle cramps, muscle twitching
• nocturia (night-time urination)
• numb sensation in the extremities
• diarrhea
• itchy skin, itchy eyes
• skin colour changes (grayish complexion, sometimes yellowish-brownish tone)
• swelling and puffiness (more than you had while in advanced renal failure, and most likely in the feet and/or ankles)
• difficulty breathing (due to fluid in the lungs, anemia)
• high blood pressure
• decreased sexual interest
• changes in menstrual cycle (and difficulty getting pregnant)
• decreased urine output (however, you should be aware that some people with ESRD will continue to get rid of water as urine, but not wastes - therefore, the urine may be very clear and normal-looking, and some may have increased urine output rather than decreased).
• poor digestion (varying degrees of gastroparesis).

With your advanced disease, you need to be asking these questions to and taking advice from your physicans instead of this forum. Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
tiny_suzy,

I appreciate you filling me in on the varying symptoms of someone with my level of kidney failure.

I also appreciate your advice about asking these questions to and taking advice from my physician instead of this forum.

However, my family doctor left this area recently and the nephrologist I consulted with charges a very high fee for consultation...I have no insurance...I'm sure you understand my situation.

Again...thank you so much for filling me in and letting me know that I can expect these things as I advance into kidney failure.
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Jan55,

You have around 29% kidney function left which is still a great deal. The reason you want to be under the care of a nephrologist is with proper medical management, you may be able to delay (or even stall) the progression of the disease. This could give you additional months/years of living dialysis-free.

I understand your finanical situation. I don't know where you are located but if you are in the United States, contact one of these organizations below. They may be able to help you and/or direct you to resources that maybe able to help.

American Association of Kidney Patients: www.aakp.org

National Kidney Foundation: www.kidney.org
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
tiny_suzi,

Thanks sooooooooooooooo much! I'll contact them, tomorrow.

I was really worried about the dizzy spells...you just never know when they are going to happen! I was driving one day with my daughter (14 years old) in the car when suddenly, I couldn't see!

Although my creatnine level has remained at around 1.9 for the past two+ years, I have no swelling in my legs or ankles (just my abdomen).

I truly appreciate your help...thanks so very much.
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Symptoms and Treatment of Acute Renal Failure
Acute renal failure occurs when the kidney suddenly fails. This happens due to accidents that could injure the kidney and lead to a steady decline in the functioning of the kidney.
The symptoms of kidney failure are very subtle and cannot be noticed easily.
How to treat acute renal kidney?
Our featured therapies do make the difference, they are Immunotherapy, Stem Cell Therapy, Micro-Chinese Medicine Osmotherapy!
|
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...