My husband was hospitalized in Feb. with mumps,when he was there his Amylase enzyme level was 1051,they said normal is between 25-125.About 3 days after getting out of the hospital his enzymes were tested again and this time it was about 350.He's never had it checked again.My questions are as follows: Should he have his enzyme levels checked again now that he does not have mumps? Also can this cause diabetes for him later on in life? His mother,aunts,uncles,and maternal grandmother all have type 2 diabetes,his sister had gestational diabetes a year ago,but has been fine since giving birth to her son.Also can acute pancreatitis reoccur more frequently after having it once,even if it was brought on by mumps? Should he be having blood tests done at least once a year for these things? He's ALWAYS been very healthy,and very athletic, for years he used to run about 10 miles a day,even in winter (when weather allowed).Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.By the way,he is not overweight either he's about 5'7" and weighs about 175 lbs.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, Yolita!
Having mumps later in life (not in childhood when it's usual infection) brings more complications to the patients condition.
One of the complication of mumps is acute pancreatitis, as in your husband's case.
The usual cause of chronic pancreatitis is many years of alcohol abuse, but the chronic form may also be triggered by only one acute attack, especially if the pancreatic ducts are damaged.

Was your husband examined with imaging test for his pancreas recently (pseudocyst due to damaged pancreatic ducts)?
|

replied May 8th, 2008
Thank You MandMs
No he has had no further testing of any type,but I am worried because whenever he eats he gets really sleepy,and he is always complaining that he just feels "sick". When I ask him what's wrong,he just says he just plain doesn't feel good,that he can't explain it. I just worry that it's done permanent damage.Should I ask the Dr. to do this test? Is there any other tests I should have done on him? Thank you very much for the response,and I appreciate all of your help.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!

You can ask for imaging test for pancreas (magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography that shows the bile and pancreatic ducts clearly) and also, blood test for pancreatic functions (levels of amylase and lipase and the level of sugar (glucose) in the blood).
A I said in my previous post, the chronic form of pancreatitis may also be triggered by only one acute attack, especially if the pancreatic ducts are damaged.

Does he still get abdominal pain?
Has he noticed that his bowel movements have changed in bulky, unusually foul-smelling, greasy stools?
Does he feel nauseous and vomiting along with feeling of sleepiness?
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...