User Profile
Hello. About a month ago I had unprotected insertive sex with a guy in Spain. I went to an STDcentre and I had gonnorea. My blood test came back negative 4 syphilis & HIV. They told me they performed thourough tests, not just the antibody test. I had a fever for 1 day about 2 weeks afterwards. Afterwards, cotton mouth. I think I had blood & mucous in my faeces for a few days. From then ill now I've also experienced weird muscle aches targetting different parts of my body at different times. Lower right arm, then legs, then shoulders, then upper right arm, & now both right & left upper arms. I know symptoms aren't reliable for diagnosis but are these symptoms in any way indicative of acute HIV? I've read that they usually come all at once. Maybe I'm just too stressed over the whole situation. I try to keep myself calm because I figure the odds are in my favour but I'm still scared to death in the meantime & I feel such guilt & shame as I don't usually have unprotected sex. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2009
HIV and AIDS Answer A8671
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether the symptoms like fever, oral candida infection, blood and mucous in the feces and muscle pain are indicative of acute HIV.

Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is a virus that causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). In this condition the human immune system begins to fail, leading to life-threatening opportunistic infections. HIV may be transmitted by blood, semen, vaginal fluid, pre-ejaculate, or breast milk. HIV infection develops through four stages: an incubation period, acute infection, latency stage and AIDS. The initial incubation period upon infection is asymptomatic and usually lasts between two and four weeks. Acute infection, which lasts an average of 28 days and can include symptoms such as fever, lymphadenopathy, sore throat, rash, muscle pain, etc. The latency stage shows few or no symptoms and can last anywhere from two weeks to twenty years and beyond. AIDS, the fourth and final stage of HIV infection shows as symptoms of various opportunistic infections and certain types of cancers.

According to the symptoms that you described, fever, oral fungal infection, blood and mucous in the feces and muscle pain may or may not indicate that you are experiencing an acute infection of HIV. Although you received negative HIV report through tests, you may consider retesting yourself because most researchers agree that a second specimen should be collected more than a month later and retested for individuals with indeterminate and not quite certain results.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis of HIV.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.