Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

active 62 yo diabetic now can't leave home. 12 specialists

User Profile
My 62-year old diabetic mother has been quite ill for the past year.She is under the care of an endocrynologist and is told that her diabetes is under control. For the past year, however, she has been dealing with severe dizziness (she falls often when she tries to walk without holding onto something or someone), confusion, memory loss, nausea/vomitting, headaches, fatigue, and depression. She has been under the care of twelve different specialists since thses symptoms began, and she currently seeing her newest neurologist who prescribed more testing. All of the testing she has undergone over the past year, including MRIs, brain scans and other neurological testing, blood work, etc., have come back negative, and none of her doctors seem to have any idea of what her diagnosis is. Vestibular neuritis, among other conditions, has been ruled out, yet my mother's symptoms are progressively worsening. My mother lives on Long Island, not far from Manhattan, although so far all of her treatment thus far has been from doctors practicing medicineon Long Island. We are more than happy to take her into Manhattan for testing, although at this point, I don't know what type of doctor to contact regarding her symptoms. If anyone has any thoughts on what may be causing my mother to go from being an active, working woman with energy and a passion for life to someone who was forced to take an early retirement and now can't even leave the house, I would truly appreciate any feedback or thoughts. Thank you so much! ~Sarah, Valley Stream, NY

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2014
Neurological Disorders Answer A48003
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. I completely understand the agony your mother is going through. I do empathize with her. From the symptoms you have described, there’re several possibilities. Firstly, it’s important to rule out that she’s not suffering from hypoglycemias. She needs to do a strict glucose monitoring and please discuss with her endocrinologist if he/she intends to do any drug changes and give her the drugs which have the least risk of hypoglycemias. Secondly, cerebellar diseases and spinocerebellar diseases are known to produce severe dizziness and intability of gait. Cerebellar and spinocerebellar degeneration can lead to these problems. A neurologist will be able to help you in this. Thirdly, vestibular neuronitis is still a possibility and needs to be looked into. Another possibility is Vitamin B12 deficiency and its levels should be assessed. Senile dementia can also lead to similar problems. Please do take her to a neurologist and I sincerely hope she gets better soon.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.