Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

active bone islands i have difficulty walking with the pain.

User Profile
i was dx with active bone islands in june 2010, my bone scan revealed they were in most of my bone, that my hips and pelvis front and back were covered, my ribs, sternum, legs etc. my issue is that i have pain and it as increased since my dx, now oct 2011, i have difficulty walking, the pain is so bad and awakens me every night. i am told not to worry, but i want to know if it could be bone cancer. Dr Wascher, i can get 8 filings done by a dentist without freezing, but this pain i have is unbearable. please help me to have some answers, i am also always very tired and when the pain is really bad, i cannot eat. thank you charlotte

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2011
Bone Cancer Answer A27345
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

An enostosis or bone island represents a focus of mature compact (cortical) bone within the cancellous bone. This benign lesion is probably congenital or developmental in origin and reflects failure of resorption during endochondral ossification.

This condition can be seen mostly in the pelvis, femur, and other long bones, although it may be found anywhere in the skeleton, including the spine.

Usually such conditions do not need any specific treatment. But in case, of severe pain, which is not being controlled with regular analgesics, you may need better prescription pain killers like Co-codamol. Hence you might consult with your physician for proper assessment and treatment.

In some severe cases, surgery and excision of the lesions can be tried too.

Other conditions that can produce severe bone pain include : Metastatic bone disease, osteoid osteoma, Osteoblastoma, enchondroma, bone infarct, fibrous dysplasia, Osteomyelitis and osteosarcoma. Hence these conditions also may need to be ruled out.

I hope the information here helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.