User Profile
Hi, Im 24 & hav been suffering with acne since 9 months where intially there were traces of 1 or 2 pimples which used to come n disappear, but since 1 year, they started doubling and i ended up getting few on my cheeks. I usually clear my face twice daily (lakme strawberry face wash) & rarely go out in sun or get exposed to air outside as i travel in cab. After 6 months of getting pimples, i noticed that i was actually getting flakes around acne(I hav dandruff too.) Last month i visited a dermatologist who suggested tht i use Cleargel(clindamycin phosphate USP) in the morning & Faceclin (Clindamycin & Nicotinamide gel) at night. As a tablet, i was askd to use Topcid 40 in the morning & Doxyday capsule at night for 1 mnth. Its already 1.5 mnths since i used all these, but i dont seem to see the results. When i apply the gel, i see that my skin becomes too oily & it itches on the portion i apply the gel. Now tht i hav stopped, it has become dry. I want my beautiful skin back. Pls help!!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2009
Acne and Skin Disorders Answer A6889

According to the information you provided (acne that worsened in the last year, oily face, used antibiotic lotions without effect), it is possible that you might be experiencing acne due to hormonal changes.

Acne is a skin disorder in which pimples appear due to clogged sebaceous skin glands. These glands produce oily secretions, whereas the pores are clogged by cells that are detached from the skin. The oil production might be increased. This might be due to hormonal changes, especially a slight shift in testosterone levels.

Please note that women have very small levels of testosterone (male sex hormone) in the blood which is quite normal. However, just a slight increase might result in specific changes, such as oily skin and a lot more acne.

You might want to visit a dermatologist for a physical examination and laboratory tests. In the mean time, try not to irritate the skin too much. Mild soap with neutral pH and lukewarm water are all your face actually needs.

Too many substances that would remove the oil from the surface would also initiate increased sebum production from the sebaceous glands.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.