Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
A summary of my medical history:

At a young age I started having vaginal yeast infection and bladder infections. By the time I was 11 I got my first menstruation. It got really bad; I would bleed so much, I would bleed through a night pad in an hour and a half. At times I could menstruate on 3 separate occasions per month. By the time I was 13 my doctor prescribed microgynon 20 (birth control). In 4 years I went from 20 to 40 because I would bleed through the pill. At this time my hair started falling out. I battled with mood swings and got diagnosed with clinical depression and PTSD. I also had severe bowel issues; at 15 I didn’t have a bowel movement for 2 weeks and got hospitalized.

At 16 I switched from the microgynon to the Dianette. My hair loss stabilized and my skin had always looked great. However, I gained a lot of weight AND I was constantly feeling down and moody. At 19 I decided to switch from the dianette to a IUD. A few months later my hair started falling out and I got acne/rash in my face, my chest and my shoulders. I switched back to the dianette and used that until my 22nd. At 21 I got diagnosed with the beginning stages of adenocarcinoma in my cervix. I had surgery (conization and 2 curretages) 3 times. Right now I’m in the clear.

During all this time I would still regularly have yeast infections and bladder infections. And I would suffer from insomnia and depression.

At 23 I decided to stop taking birth control. Again, 2/3 months after I got really bad acne/rosacea and I lost a good amount of hair. The extreme depression and insomnia got less but the mood swings (extremely happy vs extremely down) came back. Also I started feeling a lot of numbness and pain in my legs during menstruation and feeling extremely cold in the extremities of my body.

I’ve tried all kinds of diets and supplements to feel better and heal my body but nothing seems to help. Every time my doctor tests my blood everything seems to be okay. I got tested for my thyroid, vitamin deficiencies, anemia, I got my hormones checked, tested regularly on stds - every single test turned out to be fine. But the issues persist.

In the past year I have taken antibiotics for about 5 times due to different issues (mostly UTI’s). My hair is still very thin and dry, my skin issues persist, I have gained weight (within a healthy range), I’m often tired and can’t sleep at night, I feel cold most of the time, and I feel bloated. More recently I started having very sticky bowel movements.

Could all of these issues be related?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2018
Acne and Skin Disorders Answer A64009
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

We are really sorry to hear about all that you have been through. It is a very difficult case to take up on net, however here are a few suggestions:

In all probability the root cause of all problems is heavy menstrual bleeding. Causes of heavy bleeding which should be ruled out are fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, uterine polyps, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems and bleeding disorders. In all probability you have been checked for these, except maybe bleeding disorders. Endometriosis can only be ruled out laparoscopically-so please see if this was done.

Recurrent UTI and yeast infection could be due to underlying diabetes-you may have had normal tests for blood sugar, but a glucose tolerance test should be tried.

Third a test to see ferritin (iron) levels should be done.

Please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance. This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.