My acne is usually hormonal but now it's just insane!
I have little bumps all over my forehead, jawline, upper lip (I NEVER get acne on my upper lip). At first I thought it was my exfoliate because it came about when I started using that, but I stopped using it and it just seems to be getting worse! Uggh, I'm so frustrated, I've struggled with acne my whole life and now it's all coming back and it's way out of control! Could it be a result of stopping birth control? My acne actually seemed to be calming down after my period went away, but about a week ago it started really coming back. I'm getting acne in places I've never gotten it before.

Help help heeeelppppp!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile HotAsian09
|

replied October 9th, 2009
Experienced User
I'm 18, I know it's hormonal because there's really no other explanation. The one other reason I think I was breaking out so badly is because of my foundation, I can't use liquid foundation anymore, it doesn't matter if it's non-comedegenic, or mineral or anything, I'm so prone to acne that any kind of liquid will overtime just clog my pores.
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2009
Experienced User
Hey,

Yes. It might be one of the cause. It was my problem too. Most contraceptive pills help release female hormones and yes it might be one of the factors. I used to have a flawless skin when I was using birth control and after I stopped it pimples and acne grew on my all over my face and I suffered for almost a year I tried to use everything, researched everything, natural, from not washing the skin to washing it, healthy diet, believe me I've done it all!!! but none seems to take effect. I planned to see a dermatologist but the thing that worries me is the drug that they are giving has a bad side-effect in the liver. So I let my face break out tried to dump every cosmetics I used on my face. Now I'm only using a PH balance facial wash, anti-bacterial facial cleanser, and a pearl cream (chinese face cream). I used Dermovate cream (a cream that cures dermatitis and acne) to cure my pimples and an expensive skin lightening lotion for my blemishes. Now I am seeing results. But results varries due to your skin type and activities. Most likely you have to let all your pimples and acne out. There's nothing you can doo about it for the mean time not unless you see a dermatologist for that. But most likely it is caused by hormonal inbalance due to contraceptive pills stoppage.
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2009
Experienced User
And by the way stop using any cosmetics on your face. It will make everything worst! If you'll use a chinese pearl cream it will also serve as your foundation. By the way what is your skin color or your nationality?
|

replied October 12th, 2009
Experienced User
Well, I realized it wasn't the cosmetics, it was my conditioner, I was using it as a leave in and it was creating build up, my skin type is oily, so naturally my scalp is oily, it was mixing in with the build up and creating acne, it's healing now though. The best thing you can do for your skin is drink water, wear sunscreen, and deep clean/exfoliate/use masks. Most people try to take the natural way and it may work for a while, however, acne never really goes away with this method. The best way is to stay positive and use the topical agents out there, they're created to help the skin so using them is beneficial. I'm training to be an esthetician, so I know a crapload about skin care. However, I do believe some of my acne (around the chin, jawline) is hormonal and I'm trying my best to control it.
|

replied December 17th, 2009
same situation
I have suffered from acne for about 7 years. I went on Yaz for a year and it significantly helped with occasional breakouts. I got off the pill as I was concerned about blood clots and other side effects. Now my acne has exploded and it's just really sad. I am getting acne in areas of my face that never had it before and I'm really just in disbelief when I look at my face these days.I've been drinking herbal teas taking omega 3 fish oil tablets and using estee lauder compact as opposed to my usual liquid prescriptives makeup which I think did cause some of my acne. I want to try the chinese pearl cream and maybe use a better shampoo and conditioner as I do get dandruff/buildup.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Experienced User
Runnergal, aren't hormones a b*tch? I'm still suffering with acne, but as an esthetician I know different tricks to try and get rid of it. I will tell you a few tricks. First, herbal tea, even if it says no caffeine, still has a little bit of caffeine in it, the only kind that doesn't is red tea. However, I love green herbal tea because of it's antioxidant and antibacterial effect it has on the skin, but I don't drink it everyday as too much caffeine can cause stress levels to go up and increase the sebum in your glands. That is what acne is all about, SEBUM, many people don't understand that. When hormones go crazy there is an increase in sebum on the face, the pores get clogged and cause break outs. I will recommend a few things to try and help you out. Firstly, you will need a good exfoliant, mechanical (exfoliant with beads), or chemical (anything with salicylic acid, or glycolic acid is considered chemical exfoliation). Using a good exfoliant will slough off all the dead skin cells and increase cell turnover on the skin, but only use it 2-3 times a week, no more or else you will damage the tissue. I also recommend a pill called Vitex, you can get it at any whole foods store or even online at drugstore . com, I space it because I always get in trouble for quoting websites, lol. Vitex is a pill that balances hormones, it is known to help causes of acne after stopping the pill or for women going into menopause. I recommend really doing some research and looking at raves about it. You also might like a good mask, because after exfoliation the mask is going to help draw out impurities, I really love Queen Helene's Mint Julip mask, it's very cheap and comes in a huge container. I use it at night on pimples that I want to dry up, it's great for that. If you need any additional information, please ask, I always love to help. Good products I would recommend would be from the website PaulasChoice, people absolutely love these products, they're a little pricey but honestly, I would pay 1,000's of dollars to have nice skin.
|

replied August 29th, 2010
acne and birthcontrol
so i started a birth control (tri_sprintec) to stop acne because i have been breaking out into cystic spots all around my forhead and around the mouth, and jawline. i had thyroid cancer and have been on levoxyl as a thyroid replacement. i am a vegetarian most days vegan and drink alot of camomile and green tea. i try not to eat salt and sugar as i know they mess with my thyroid hormones. i am about to start the 3rd week of the birthcontrol and my acne makes me want to hibernate i cant go to a dermatologist because i dont have it covered on insurance and i feel like some of the cysts will never go away. they just keep resurfaceing. i have started to excercise to help speed the healing process but i just dont know what to do..is it normal to have BAD breakouts before the pills start to work?
|

replied August 30th, 2010
Experienced User
Usually that's how most birth controls work. Your body is not used to the amount of hormones in your body, and now it's causing break outs. If you have the money, I would get a product from the Peter Thomas Roth line called AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel, and also get the Correction Pads. Both the clearing gel and pads work like a retin-A, they help reduce acne, and help get rid of scarring/hyperpigmentation marks. Give your birth control more time, if by the 4th month it is still happening then I recommend switching.
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
to HotAsian09
can you tell me where you buy the products that you listed or what company sells them? What is a pearl cream. I am vietnamese and am looking for ways to solve my acne, naturally but with some assistance.

thanks
|

replied August 30th, 2013
Acne survivor...after birth control
Hi all,
I thought I would jump on and post as I was the one searching forums months ago about my problem with hormonal acne after coming off Yaz (and 11years on the pill). I came off in November 2012 and it took until May this year to see my whole body break-out in really painful cystic acne. I scowled the Internet for answers but I'm now on the other side of that (August). So this is what worked for me...

1. Find yourself a genuine, well recommended Chinese practitioner and acupuncturist. It's worth every penny in realigning your whole system.
2. Eat well, get plenty of rest...easier said than done.
3. Jojoba oil (when your pores are closed/cold and a ph/ soap free soap...every day). The oil tricks your skin into thinking its already produced sebum.
4. After you shower, get yourself a spray bottle of colloidal silver (while your pores are open it's an antibacterial, stops the spread of bacteria)
5. Most importantly ladies...get yourself some maca (magic!) powder. Loving earth do a well priced one and it was by far the turning point in clearing my skin. A teaspoon in a glass of juice can be enough.
6. Stop using makeup and don't touch!

No proactive, no chemical and I'm living proof you will get through it! Persistence and listening to your body is the key. I hope in sharing this it may assist some of you that face the disappointment I did at 28 when my skin went haywire. Good luck! P.S. I found that a combination of all these things worked for me, not one thing in isolation...
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its due to stoppage of pills because hormonal balance is altered. I would suggest you topical benzoyl peroxide or clindamycin.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.