Hi my 12 yr old daughter is having cyclic sickness bouts monthly she either gets up early hours of the morning or when she gets up normal time she gets pains in her tummy and is sick (bial) then she gets a headache and after a sleep is fine again this has happened for about 6 months now she has suffered with migraines in the past that has made her sick. She hasn't started her periods yet but is developing up top, she is type 1 diabetic. I took her to the doctors today who has prescribed her peptac liquid to be taken after food and before bed, is there anything she should or shouldn't eat before bed or anything she should or shouldn't drink before bed

many thanks Karen
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2014
Experienced User
Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear of your daughter's problem which must be a worry.

I would suggest keeping a food diary in an attempt to discover what her particular trigger foods are.
You will find lists of "banned foods" that are common triggers for acid reflux and regurgitation (but we are all different and react to foods differently).

If the symptoms are monthly, one would of course, at her age, consider it could be linked to puberty. (And there have been studies that show there may be a hormonal link between estrogen and acid reflux.)

If she experiences these symptoms at night-time, following these anti-reflux lifestyle choices may help:

- lose weight if applicable
- avoid tight clothing
- do not overfill the stomach
- avoid any exercise after food that may constrict the stomach (though walking is good)
- leave at least 3 hours between last meal and going to bed
- raise the head of the bed 6 to 8 inches on blocks so gravity can help keep stomach contents in place

All the best
Chris
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...