Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Acid Reflux with many issues.

Okay so I have Acid Reflux..... Been taking protonix to help. There are days I am completely fine but there are others when I am not so good... In the past two months I have suffered from the following: fast heart rate and palpations, Chest pain, heart burn, breathing issue (can not get in a deep breath), stomach pain, lower back pain, pain/soar feeling in my neck on the right side, and now a swallowing issue with the feeling that there is a lump in my throat..... I have been to my doctor, the ER, a cardiac doctor, and a GI doc with a scope scheduled for next month..... They changed my meds to a different PPI.... I also always fear the worst when I start feeling any of the above... My heart is fine, slight high blood pressure and over weight...... I have a mild hiatal hernia as well...... Anyone else feel like I do? Anyone know how to help me feel better?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2014
Hi there

I just joined yesterday and perplexed that no one has responded, which must be very discouraging for you?!

I have experienced all that you have listed and it was due to me doing some research, that I discovered they are all related to acid!

3 teeth have had to be removed; perminent burnt tongue; nearly lost my vocals and if I wake up more or more times, with acid in my mouth, I am pretty sure that I will lose my voice perminently!

I was on Lanzor prazole for years, and then found that my liver was being damaged. I should be having an op but here in France, where I live, they refuse to do that as they feel it would be more damaging to me!

I have: a huge hiatus hernia!

IBS

Something that is related to causing until nausea (special name that I forget)

GERD

Oh and I have a caugh and regularly suffer low blood sugars.

I am now on PPI and so far so good and with the last full medical, my liver count was fine Very Happy

I rarely wake up wit acid now and that is because I cook with olive oil; if I have an egg, I make sure it is well cooked, which stop indigestion.

I find that also having a pack of Rennies helps to bide off the heartburn.
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2014
Experienced User
UnhappywithGERD,
The symptoms you describe are quite common for those of us with acid reflux.
You have multiple issues. The palpitations are probably due to a reflex via the Vagus nerve. The lump in the throat, known as Globus, is also common. Both of these symptoms are helped if you are able to relax. It may be the doctor can prescribe you something to calm your anxiety?

Whereas PPIs like your pantoprazole will reduce the acid, it won't prevent reflux. Non-Erosive Reflux can be aspirated into the chest causing some of your breathing problems. Following the lifestyle tips for reducing reflux may help.

Lillyofthevalley, obviously your dose of lansoprazole was insufficient to reduce the acidity of your reflux which caused the damage to your teeth and burning in the mouth.
All PPIs at high dose over a period of time can result in side effects (from the reduction of stomach acid) but their benefit (of reducing the chance of progression to oesophageal cancer outweighs the disadvantages of low mineral and vitamin levels which may be helped by supplements.

There are many different PPIs and all are as effective as each other in reducing acid. However, some people tolerate one more than another for some reason. I'm glad your doctor has found one that is better for you.

Hiatus Hernia is very common in the population and causes few problems. However, it can reduce the efficacy of the lower oesophageal sphincter facilitating reflux.

If reflux is indeed your main problem and cannot be controlled with lifestyle changes, the anti-reflux Nissen fundoplication operation may be your only recourse.

Have you tried substituting your fried egg with poached, boiled or scrambled? They would be a better choice. Fried foods may also be a cause of your excess gas build up.

If you're on a PPI, it is not good to have to take Rennie as well. Do not take them at the same time as the calcium carbonate of the Rennie will neutralise the acid required to break down the coating of the PPI for it to be absorbed into your bloodstream. If you take your PPI in the morning, half an hour before breakfast is best, you may take an antacid, if required, after dinner. But better than Rennie would be an alginate, like Gaviscon, which will coat the oesophagus and float on top of the acid lake in your stomach.

Gentle, upright exercise will help keep foods moving through the digestive tract - and help tone the muscles. Choose walking or cycling (Dutch style - upright - rather than racing style - crouched over the handlebars)
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2014
The symptoms you facing are side effects of Protonix.Avoid chocolates and tomatoes,alcohol to reduce acid reflux problems.
|

replied January 23rd, 2014
Thank you for your comments...... I don't think the protonix caused my issues as I had them before I started that PPI. Now I have been taking dexilant and it seems to be working. When issues pop up I take two gaviscon and some water. For now it's the best I can hope for. After the scope we will see what they find. I prefer not to take any meds for anxiety. Still looking to compare notes with people out there experiencing the same issues, helps to know I am not alone. Also would like to know how people are doing with their issues as well as help others having the same problems......... Keep the conversation going please.......
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2014
Good day!
Thank you for asking. Your questions have answer in them.
If your cardiac profile is normal then all you need is modify diet and lifestyle , Losing weight would be a good start.
Manage hypertension, AHA diet for Hypertension, constant touch with cardiologist for that.
Now the GERD , fix the hiatal hernia, get a fundoplication and the issue of GERD will resolve.
Following modifications in diet and lifestyle can help
Losing weight (if overweight)
Avoiding alcohol, chocolate, citrus juice, and tomato-based products
Avoiding peppermint, coffee, and possibly the onion family[8]
Eating small, frequent meals rather than large meals
Waiting 3 hours after a meal to lie down
Refraining from ingesting food (except liquids) within 3 hours of bedtime
Elevating the head of the bed 8 inches
Avoiding bending or stooping positions
Stay in touch with your doctor and nip th evil in the Bud. Just changing PPI wont help
Take care
khan
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.