I've had acid reflux for years I've been taking nexium for a few years it still helps but not as well. I have new symptoms for the past year which include nausea especially after I eat and when I wake up in the morning. I usually throw up a blob if gerd or mucus and then feel fine afterwards. I'm very lethargic and takes til mid morning to get my energy going. I don't eat much because I don't have much of an appetite and get full really fast and if I eat more then a lean cuisine size meal I get a horrible stabbing pain that lasts all day and goes away by morning. I stay bloated and full of air and always have to burp it up. all I drink is water all say except a morning coffee and even with small meals only eat twice a day and stick with healthy foods and water I haven't been able to lose weight. people at my job ask me all the time why I'm not a size 2 because I never eat or throw over half of what I do eat away. is this normal with acid reflux or could I have something else going on? I did have an endoscopy about 7 years ago which showed I had a hietal hernia could it be time for surgery?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2014
Experienced User
Hi Dee,

Your symptoms are probably as a result of your reflux.

Nexium is a proton pump inhibitor and, like all PPIs, is good at reducing the amount of acid your stomach produces. However, it does nothing to prevent reflux.
Even non-erosive reflux can cause damage and problems. You may be aspirating refluxate into your airways, which is particularly common at night, which is why you need to "cough it up". This can reduce lung function which may be the cause of your lethargy.

Additionally, a possible side effect of long term, high dose PPI usage is that you are not absorbing sufficient minerals. You may be deficient in iron and/or magnesium and be slightly anemic which would be another cause of lethargy. Have a blood test to check these levels out - you may need supplemental minerals and vitamins.

You can try the following to reduce reflux. Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed. Raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks so gravity will help keep anything in your stomach, in your stomach.

Your hiatus hernia may be the cause of your reflux. It can impede the Lower Esophageal Sphincter and in its folds act as a reservoir for acid or other liquids. Most people with hiatus hernia, however, live with it without problem (and most may not even be aware they have one).
If it is 7 years since you had a scope, I would suggest you request another to ensure things haven't changed over that time. Persistent reflux of acid and bile can cause irreversible cellular changes (Barrett's Esophagus) which in a small percentage of people can progress to esophageal cancer.
|

replied April 1st, 2014
Coffee will make your reflux worse. Lots of water is good, but make sure you don't drink with meals. Do not drink anything at all while eating. Also, stay away from cooked tomatoes and other acidic foods.

Get regular, not too strenuous exercise three days a week. You may just want to start with regular walking.

Reflux is often relieved by gently massaging from just below the sternum straight down toward your belly button.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2014
Your symptoms sound a lot like you are suffering from something much bigger than reflux. It sounds to me like you may be suffering from Candida Overgrowth as a result of an imbalanced pH. Candida is the yeast bacteria that lives in our gut. They are normally kept in control by other good bacteria, but when our body's pH levels are thrown off by taking antibiotics, a high sugar or high carb diet, stress, etc., Candida can grow out of control and wreak havoc on our bodies.

It is important that you address the cause of the symptoms you are having and not just the symptoms.

|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...