User Profile
I am a 28 year Old male. I am suffering from following symptoms from last 3 months.
1: Having issues in drinking water, particularly in the morning when I wake up and drink water While I drink I can feel the water going down, and some time pain as if water is being getting stuck or there is something that is causing hold up.
2: After eating food( don't feel pain while swallowing solid food while eating), I am having a feeling of gas trapped in my food pipe and chest pain. It leads to constant burps.
Went to gastroenterologist, he asked for breathing and barium swallow test
1: Barium swallow test: came normal.
2: Breathe Test: H pylori positive.
Doctor prescribed me 2 months 60 mg dosage of dexlansoprazole once a day. Now after 2 months I still have burps and chest pain but significantly less.
Went to doc and he told I shouldn't have symptoms after 2 months and prescribed lansoprazole30mg this time and endoscopy. why I am not getting normal even after taking antiacids?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2018
Acid Reflux Answer A64302
Welcome to e health forum.

Your condition is acid reflux, and it is a life style disorder with multiple contributing factors.

Gastritis pain occurs in the left upper portion of the abdomen and in the back. Other symptoms of gastritis include - Belching, Nausea and vomiting, Bloating, Feeling of fullness or burning in the upper part of the belly.

Since investigations like endoscopy have confirmed the diagnosis, it would be best that you continue the treatment prescribed by your gastroenterologist.

Gastric reflux disorder is a chronic condition and complete cure is unlikely if all the predisposing factors have not been removed. As already experienced by you, stopping the medications will cause your symptoms to recur.

In addition, diet change will also be very helpful.

Some tips to help your symptoms include:-
1. Reducing intake of hot spicy and Fat rich foods, fried foods, is very important.
2. Try eating a little more slowly. When you eat fast, you swallow extra air with your food. Try to not talk while eating. Extra air while eating can lead to belching and gas production.
3. Eating at the same time each day and eating smaller meals more frequently may be beneficial as well.
4. Try to eat a balanced diet. Foods with high fiber may initially increase gas production. However, the this will decrease over time.
5. It is better not to drink fluids with your food. Drinking fluids with meals can increase your air intake and increase gas.
6. Avoid major gas and acid producing foods like -
- Vegetables: Onions, Celery, Carrots, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cucumber, Cabbage,Cauliflower, Radishes , potatoes and eggplant.
- Beans, peas, Green salads, brown rice and leeks
- Fruits like - Raisins, Bananas, Apricots, Prunes, dried fruit
- Carbohydrates rich foods like - Bagels, Wheat Germ, Pretzels,puddings, breads.
- Cured meats and high fat meat products such as sausages, salami, ham, bacon, and Red meats like beef and lamb should be reduced in consumption or avoided totally.

In addition to the above methods, Activated charcoal, probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements can be used relieve your symptoms

In some patients with chronic gastritis or GERD, inspite of following all the above tips, they might not find relief. This is due to their symptoms being mainly increased due to Stress, which is a major stimulant of Gastric acid secretion. Lack of proper sleep also adds to it. Such patients can be helped by proper behavior modification (to manage stress) and psychological counselling. Sleeping aids or antianxiety or Hypnotic medications also have been found helpful in such patients.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Stress, Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.