Hi, I am new here.hope everyone well.i have been suffering with heart attack like pains for over a year now.bloated.constant pains in tummy, lower back.always full of wind.just last week I had an endoscopy which showed a hiatus hernia and acid reflux.really worried, my dad has been suffering with symptoms of the same for years but not yet diagnosed.hes going for endoscopy this week.what scares me is knowing my nana died at 60 from cancer of the esophagus.she also had hiatus hernia and acid reflux.can this be something I have inherited? worried I too could also end up getting cancer too.i am 33, mother of 2.would love to hear from anyone going through the same stress and worry that I am.thankyou.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2013
Experienced User
Hi Tezza,

I do understand your concern - and, yes, a couple of studies recently (one from UK last year and one from US earlier this year) have identified a genetic component.

Hiatus hernis is quite common and often a cause of acid reflux. However, the chances of you progressing to develop cancer are extremely slim.

I am assuming you have been prescribed medication to reduce your acid production which means anything refluxing will be less damaging to your esophagus.

Your endoscopy has not shown any irreversible damage yet (ie Barrett's Esophagus).

Keep taking the acid suppressant, and supplement it with Gaviscon if necessary when things get bad, and control your reflux with the appropriate lifestyle changes:

Lose weight if applicable
Stop smoking if applicable
Reduce alcohol consumption
Avoid tight clothing
Avoid bending or any exercise that will compress the stomach after eating
Eat smaller portions - more frequently
Leave at least three hours before your last meal and going to bed
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches on blocks

That should prevent further damage. However, an endoscopic examination every few years will ensure none has occurred and should give you peace of mind.

If Barrett's Esophagus does develop, it still has to undergo further changes (dysplasia) before becoming cancerous and the chances of that are less than 0.5% per year. And if dysplasia is detected, ablation therapy will remove the "bad" cells before they can become cancerous.

Don't worry. You'll live to see your children grow up - unless you get hit by a bus!

Chris
|

replied April 29th, 2013
Thankyou for your reply.after my meeting with the endoscopist, I voiced my concerns and she said it could be genetic.not sure what will happen now.do I see the consultant again or book in to see my gp? I have been on lanzoprazole now for over a year.sometimes work and sometimes not.i watched my nana die from the same symptoms I am getting now. Frightening really.fingers crossed all will be ok.the endoscopist said I had acid reflux and hiatus hernia.does sound popular now a day's. Thankyou.Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
Experienced User
Have you actually had an endoscopy yet? If so, have you had the results?
Do they indicate Barrett's? If so any signs of dysplasia?

Meantime, stick with the lansoprazole.

All the best
Chris
|

replied April 30th, 2013
Yeah, last week.she said I had acid reflux and hiatus hernia.she never said anything else.i probably have to see the consultant again to see what he says for my results.
|

replied April 30th, 2013
Yeah, last week.she said I had acid reflux and hiatus hernia.she never said anything else.i probably have to see the consultant again to see what he says for my results.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
Experienced User
If your endoscopist saw anything that she was concerned about, she should have taken biopsies. (Quite painless procedure to snip a small tissue sample using tools inserted via the endoscope. Depending on the workload at the path lab these can take a few weeks to examine and the report sent back to your consultant or GP.

But she may not have seen anything of concern and not biopsied.

If you hear nothing more, make an appointment to see your GP in a couple of weks and ask if he/she has heard anything more.

Do I guess you're in UK since you use the terms hiatus hernia and GP? (Americans usually say hiatal hernia and "primary".) I am in UK.

Chris
|

replied April 30th, 2013
Yeah, in the uk.i thought it wouldn't be too serious or they would have took biopsies.phoned my gp today and they have the report back . can't get an appointment for 4 weeks.thankyou.
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...