Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

acid reflux, burning in my throat and burning in my mouth

Hi
I was diagnosed with acid reflux 4 weeks ago. And I am not coping with it all. I suffer with t everyday. The two symptoms that affect me daily are the burning in my throat and burning in my mouth. I don't suffer with heartburn, nausea and chest pain. But that is enough to deal with as the pain is so bad it reduces me to tears amd drains me of energy. I get so lethargic I can't do anything but sleep. I was taking omeprazole and domperidone but decided to switch to slippery elm and liquorice tabs because after researching and advice from a health food store. I understand fro. Researching that continual use of omeprazole would cause long term damage.
I am not coping with this at all. I have altered my diet but have a relapse especially with chocolate. Its a vicious circle. I have a drop in energy and the first thing I pick up is choc. I would appreciate any advice amd support.

Thank you

Love03.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2013
Experienced User
Hi Love03,

Slippery Elm and liquorice are obviously not working to reduce your acid problems. They may be fine as supplementary therapy but should not be used as alternative / replacement therapy where you have such persistent symptoms as you describe.

If you are refluxing acid frequently, you will be damaging your esophagus. The acid erosion can lead to cellular changes leading to Barrett's Esophagus with an ultimate increased risk of cancer.

The risks associated with omeprazole and other PPIs are overstated. Side effects are because of their effectiveness in reducing stomach acid which you need to reduce so your reflux doesn't harm your esophagus. If any natural remedy was as effective at reducing the acid, it would have the same side effects.

When stomach acid is reduced considerably over a period of time, the body may not absorb sufficient of the essential minerals - calcium, iron, magnesium etc. This can lead to complications such as increased risk of osteoporosis, anemia and so on. However, these conditions are preferable to cancer and may be helped with the addition of mineral supplements if necessary.

See your doctor or a gastroenterologist to make sure you haven't already done any serious damage to your esophagus. He will probably want to perform an EGD (scope) to take a look.

Then manage your condition with PPI drugs (and your slippery elm and liquorice as supplementary therapies if you still wish), diet and lifestyle.

Regarding diet. There are many foods that some people find aggravates their acid production. But we are all different and react to foods differently. You will need to determine what your particular trigger foods are and avoid those.

Diet and PPIs can reduce the acid. To control the reflux follow these lifestyel rules:
Lose weight if appropriate.
Stop smoking if appropriate
Reduce alcohol if appropriate.
Avoid tight clothing.
Avoid bending after eating or any exercise that will compress the stomach.
Do not overfill the stomach - eat little and often.
Do not eat for at least three hours before going to bed.
Raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

A final note on diet. Drugs such as caffeine, alcohol, nicotine will relax the esophageal sphincter (the valve between the esophagus and the stomach) making reflux easier.
Fats do not dissolve in acid and remain in the stomach longer being churned and sprayed with more acid that doesn't get neutralized.

All the best

Chris
|

replied August 13th, 2013
Re: acid reflux, burning in my throat and burning in my mouth
love03 wrote:
Hi
I was diagnosed with acid reflux 4 weeks ago. And I am not coping with it all. I suffer with t everyday. The two symptoms that affect me daily are the burning in my throat and burning in my mouth. I don't suffer with heartburn, nausea and chest pain. But that is enough to deal with as the pain is so bad it reduces me to tears amd drains me of energy. I get so lethargic I can't do anything but sleep. I was taking omeprazole and domperidone but decided to switch to slippery elm and liquorice tabs because after researching and advice from a health food store. I understand fro. Researching that continual use of omeprazole would cause long term damage.
I am not coping with this at all. I have altered my diet but have a relapse especially with chocolate. Its a vicious circle. I have a drop in energy and the first thing I pick up is choc. I would appreciate any advice amd support.

Thank you

Love03.

I have had similar symptoms but I have a burning tongue instead of the whole mouth. I do get fatigued a lot too. Is fatigue because of the acid reflux ? I have Omeprazole but then leave it thinking of the side effects. I have tried some natural remedies also but none of them help for very long. I see your post is from April. Have you found anything that works better than a PPI ?
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...