For the last week, I've been having indigestion issues such nausea, heartburn, lower back pain and the feeling of acid on my stomach. I took some tums, but that didn't work.

I went to the DR and they ran some blood test which came back normal and also sent me to see if I have gallstones...which I don't.

The DR. then suggested that I take Prilosec for awhile and if that doesn't get rid of the problems after several weeks, they will bring me in to see of my gallbladder is having other issues.

Well, today is day 5 of taking Prilosec and while it has relieved most symptoms, I still become nauseous after eating. Should Prilosec be helping me with the nausea? Is there something else I can try?

I've tried Apple Cider Vineger, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Also, I should mention that I'm watching what I eat. It appears everything I eat makes me nauseous.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2012
Experienced User
The fact that the prilosec (omeprazole - a proton pump inhibitor that reduces stomach acid production) has relieved symptoms, indicates your problems are acid reflux.

But reducing acid alone doesn't help reflux or nausea.
To reduce reflux, the lifestyle advice is to lose weight, wear loose clothing, avoid stomach cramping exercise after eating.

To reduce nausea, and help peristalsis (muscular contractions to help food move through the gastrointestinal tract) you may be prescribed an anti-emetic such as metoclopramide (Reglan) or domperidone (Motillium). I'm not sure if these drugs are available over the counter in US. (They are in UK.)
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...