Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

acid reflux and food poisoning

i have acid reflux that has been recently flaring up. i take medication for it but the last two days i have been dealing with food poisoning from tuna and still cant take my meds for the reflux. i am wondering if i need to go to the er, because it seems like its not getting better and seems to have intensified the reflux. i have also looked online for info, but no luck. any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2012
Especially eHealthy
jtrosin,

Usually, most cases of “food poisoning” just have to run their course. The usually recommended treatment for it is the following:

1. Control Nausea and Vomiting
* Avoid solid foods until vomiting ends. Then eat light, bland foods, such as saltine crackers, bananas, rice, or bread.
* Sipping soda may help prevent vomiting.
* Don’t eat fried, greasy, spicy, or sweet foods.
* Don’t take anti-nausea or anti-diarrhea medication without asking your doctor. They may make some kinds of diarrhea worse. Your doctor may give you anti-nausea medication if you are at risk of being dehydrated.

2. Prevent Dehydration
* Drink clear fluids, starting with small sips and gradually drinking more.
* If vomiting and diarrhea last more than 24 hours, drink an oral rehydration solution.

3. When to Call the Physician
Call a doctor immediately for diarrhea:
* That lasts more than 3 days
* That happens after you eat seafood or mushrooms
* Accompanied by a fever
* With blood or dark stools
* With prolonged vomiting that prevents keeping liquids down
* With signs of severe dehydration, such as dry mouth, decreased urination, dizziness, fatigue, or increased heart rate or breathing rate

Since this occurred with the consumption of tuna and your symptoms have continued, you should contact your primary care physician.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....