User Profile
I'll be brief.

About a yr & a 1/2 ago I experienced tightness in my chest. Sweating, anxiety, arm pain.
Went to ER. Had EKG, CBC, chest XRay & stress test. All normal. Sent me home & no symptoms after that.

This past July, after a party I experienced a stabbing pain just below my sternum. It lasted for hrs.
Went to ER, had EKG & CBC - both normal. Dr rx'd Prilosec OTC. I adjusted my living habits to what
is usual for reflux.

Now, this last month we had a death in the family. I was stressed & started getting chest pain & tightness
that would wake me from sleep & last for 24+hrs. Went to ER & had EKG, CBC & chest X-ray. All normal.
All three visits to ER, my BP spikes but returns to normal.

Family Dr thinks reflux & rx'd Nexium. Two weeks pain free until yesterday. Same symptoms for over 24hrs.

My question is; Can reflux pain last longer than 24hrs at a time?

& after 3 EKG's, 3 CBC's, 2 Chest X-rays & a stress test(all normal) can I rule out heart probs?

Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JeweledDart
|
Users who thank DoctorQuestion for this post: NeilPage 

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2008
Acid Reflux Answer A4895
Current medical status: Tightness & pain in chest, back. Occasional accompanied with pain in left arm. Went to ER. EKG, CBC, chest x-ray all normal.
Current medical treatment: Nexium 40mg

Acid reflux can’t cause pain but only burning sensations behind the sternum. Burning sensations can last 24 hours. Acid reflux can be confirmed by measuring the pH value in the esophagus.

An ECG, stress test, CBC, and chest X-rays are enough to rule out a heart disorder.

According to your symptoms you might be experiencing a panic disorder.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.