User Profile
I have a aching pain in my right arm it comes and gos and some times it is in my leg or in my other arm and some times i have a sharp shoting pain run down my arm or legs also. Is it something I sould talk to my Dr. about and what could possibly be cousing it.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2009
Muscular and Nerve Disorders Answer A7631
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth's Ask a Doctor forum.

Shooting or aching pain that involves right arm and leg could be due to mainly two causes. One is have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc.

The other is transient ischemic attacks or mini strokes wherein the blood supply to brain is temporarily cut off. The episodes last for a maximum of 24 hours and then resolve or a new symptom starts. To diagnose this you need a prompt evaluation (usually within 60 minutes) to identify the cause and determine appropriate therapy. CAT Scans/ MRIs done later or when you are fine may not reveal anything.
It could also be due to Vitamin B12 deficiency, underactive thyroid or diabetes but these usually cause more generalized symptoms.

Please do not ignore the symptoms and consult a doctor as soon as possible. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Muscular and Nerve Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.