User Profile
i have been getting an aching pain in my lower back on the right side, just above my hip bone. What could be the cause of this? Normally it only aches at night while trying to sleep. I tend to sleep on my right side but most of the weight is on my front.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A17497
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the pain in the lower back (loin on the right side).
You might be suffering from renal calculi. Loin pain commonly originates from the kidney. Renal calculi are common and cause severe pain. However other sources of pain need to be considered such as pyelonephritis, abdominal aortic aneurysm, musculoskeletal pain leading to spasm.
You must consult your urologist who may like to conduct complete urine examination to look for pus cells and microscopic haematuria and ultrasound KUB that will help in diagnosis and further management. CT may also be required for the diagnosis of renal stones.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.