Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

aching feeling in the right hand side?

User Profile
had an inguinal hernia repair on the right hand side at the end of last year and I am aware of an aching feeling in the right hand side down to my right testicle which still seems swollen or heavy 7 weeks on. I have also suffered erectile problems on occasions since the repair. I am not overly alarmed as It is neither painful or uncomfortable, more an sensation I am aware of.

Are these common side effects this long after the procedure, or should I consult my GP?


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2011
Hernia Answer A20982
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am really glad to help you out.

The common causes of the post-operative pain after the hernia surgery are Nerve damage during surgery or later entrapment in scar tissue, Post-operative benign nerve tumors (Neuromas) , Scar tissue or tissue damage , Contracted, scarified and hardened mesh plugs ("Meshomas") ,

Infection (usually noted early post-op but sometimes delayed for months or years.) , Constriction or narrowing of the internal inguinal ring around the spermatic cord ,

Periostitis-inflammation of the outer membrane of the pubic bone due to the presence of permanent suture material inadvertently placed into this layer resulting in chronic inflammation and pain.

Erectile dysfunction is also known to occur transiently after the surgery but gradually the recovery occurs. I'll suggest consulting your surgeon and seeking an opinion regarding the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.