Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Accurate bipolar diagnosis ?

I have been suffering from something for a long time. I am not sure exactly what the clinical diagnosis would be, but when I was younger I was diagnosed with ADHD & Depression. I quit taking my medication and haven't been in therapy in years. My life sucks, but my family is terrific and really supportive in everything I do, so I am a lucky person there. I know it's not ADHD, at least I don't think it is. Right now, I am living with my father and I'm 24 years old, so of course life sucks. My finances are crap (bankrupt), and I haven't had a steady job in about a year. The present is not what I thought it was going to be. I am at a community college right now, working on an A.A. degree. I am taking 2 courses online, and the college is great because I am able to finish the entire A.A. 100% online. But, it's not what I want. I want to be able to go into the classroom and meet people to discuss what we're working on, and find some other writers my own age. I have anxiety because my parents are both mentally ill. Father (schizophrenic) is a genius with an IQ of 170, and my mother is bipolar and was in special ed when she was younger, but doing really well now (average IQ). I am always on edge, and it is like I can't think straight sometimes, especially when writing a long research paper for a class. What I want to do is freelance journalism, but I am not even sure that I will be able to handle the stress of a little job like that. My ideas race through my head, but it's not like when I speak I don't make sense. When I speak the expressions are rational and well thought out. However, I do get crazy ideas from time to time like what business venture I can start next on Ebay, or Craigslist and the stress of it all is just piling up. I think I had a nervous breakdown a couple months ago (I wrote my grandmother a nasty e-mail that I would have liked to retract). Do I just tell the psychiatrist what I said here, or will he need more information to go on? Right now I cannot hold a job and I really need to find something out about where to progress so that I can.

Thank you for your time,

A concerned mind.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 7th, 2009
Also, I am not sure if my stress is just from the family problems I am facing, or if there are personal emotional problems. I would really like some clues. Thanks again.
|

replied September 16th, 2009
Tell your psych everything you can - just my advice. BP diagnosis should partly have to do with psychosocial history, not just how you show up behaving in that office on a particular day.

Symptoms are symptoms - ie, explain your racing thoughts and how they make you feel. It doesn't actually matter if they are verbalizing, if they disturb you or affect your daily life often, that's a sign.

If you can, go to a counselor/psychologist and develop a relationship. A longer term course of working together is much better than seeing a psych and getting medications and an occassional follow-up.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...