Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Abscessed Tooth Treatment, Is This As Bad As It Seems?

Hi,

I've had a LOT of issues with a dentist I just recently started seeing and I'm fed up. I'm appalled at the level of care and wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this...doesn't seem right to me as I've had 2 abscessed teeth before and never had anything like this happen.

Last week, I had some significant tooth pain in and above my tooth directly to the right of my front two teeth. I went to a dentist I'd never seen before because I moved really far away from my old dentist last month and haven't gotten anything set up yet. The dentist told me I had an abscess and prescribed me Vicodin and Penicillin. He said if I swelled up more, I could come in and he would clean some of the abscess out and put in a temporary filling. The next morning, I woke up and of course, my face was swollen so I went back in. When he numbed me, I couldn't feel the needle go into my gums at all, which is weird for me. Then, the numbness went through the entire right side of my face, up to my eye. My whole eye was also numb. Very strange. The numbness lingered from 11 am until 9 pm in some places, but around 4 - 5 pm, the pain started coming back in my jaw with a vengence. I was miserable. I could barely swallow the meds and then I started throwing up. The next morning, my right eye was swollen shut and I was in incredible pain throughout that side of my face. I couldn't breathe out of my right nostril and opening my mouth was horribly painful. I called the dentist, the receptionist said he called in Augmentin for me. My face continued to swell and the pressure behind my eye was intense. Panicked, I took the day off and went to an urgent care clinic, who sent me to the hospital. I was given IV antibiotics (unicen) and dilaudid for pain. The hospital let me go home but insisted I follow up with either them or my dentist in the morning. I already had my root canal scheduled for the next morning, so I went to the dentist. However, I could barely open my mouth to mumble. I couldn't imagine opening it for dental work or getting a shot! He said I could reschedule for early next week. I've been taking the augmentin and feeling better, but my gums are still oozing and painful. I also cannot feel or move a good portion of my mouth, so I think I might have nerve damage of some sort. I called Tuesday to schedule and the woman informed me the only time I could come in was Friday afternoon. I told her the dentist wanted me in near the beginning of the week and that I was in excruciating pain. She told me Friday afternoon is all she can do. I told her I couldn't do Friday afternoon so she offered Saturday morning. Frustrated, I accepted and hung up. After about 10 minutes of fuming and thinking, I decided to call back. I told her I couldn't make it to Friday feeling like this, the dentist wanted me in early, and also asked if I could see a different dentist in their office. She put me on hold to go "talk to the dentist". She said, "Yeah, no, he said the soonest we could get you in is Friday so you could take the day off, but that's it." I again told her I absolutely couldn't make it until Friday feeling like this. She again said that Friday is all she could do, I angrily said I would just keep Saturday morning and hung up. I would have thought if she talked to the dentist, he would have given me some sort of other recommendation, like to take a certain amount of OTC painkillers or something. I also would have imagined I could see a different dentist in their office. I've also always had doctors recommend an ER visit "if the pain is that bad." The worst thing is, this is a "chain" dental office that advertises that they take emergencies. It's even printed on the door! I know I could have gone in as an emergency anyway, but I was already thinking of just driving the distance and going to my old dentist. I just didn't want to deal with having half-done treatment and going somewhere else. I've never had anything like this happen. My mouth was barely swollen until I went to him and it's just now going down in the past few days...
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....