I have an abscess on my breast. I have had them before but usually under my arm or inner thigh. It is roughly golfball sized and extremely painfull. I know I need to see a doctor, but Im unsure what doctor to see. Because of the location should I see my gyno or local urgent care center?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2010
If this is truly an abscess of your breast then you will require either an aspiration of the infected material in the abscess (by a Radiologist or General Surgeon), or a minor surgery to open up the infected abscess cavity (incision and drainage) by a General Surgeon. (One always has to be sure that a breast lump is not suspicious for a breast cancer, as well.)

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS



A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.