I want to sell my eggs to help a family who can not have a child. I have been reading and doing a little research but I still have some questions. I know that it said that you have to be smoke free....well I smoke, if i quit how long do I have to wait to try and donate? And why they only take smoke free women? My other question is my cousin wife would like to do it also, but she is bipolar does that disqualify her from donate?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2009
Supporter
Women who smoke or have drug or alcohol problems are ineligible because potential parents want eggs from women who are as healthy as possible.
I have no idea how long you would have to be smoke- free before you could donate.
Research studies suggest a strong genetic influence in bipolar disorder so your cousin's wife would probably not be able to sell her eggs either.
They will need detailed medical and family histories and will be very particular about the overall health of the donor before allowing someone to donate eggs.
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Most of the questions you have should be answered by the doctor. As for smoking, it probably puts you at greater risk during the procedure and may make your eggs less healthy. As for your cousin's wife, it depends on how strict the screening process is, but I would hope that being bipolar would disqualify her, since it can be genetic. At the very least, the couple who get her eggs should know the risks.

Just make sure you know the physical and emotional ramifications of what you are planning on doing. It isn't like donating sperm. You only get so many eggs. They are a part of you. Just make sure you are prepared for the idea of other people raising your children. Also, I've heard the procedure can be painful.

If you decide to do it, I'm sure that you will make some childless couple very happy.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....