Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

About Schizophrenia - symptoms and treatment

User Profile
This disorder, at some point in the illness, involves a psychotic phase (with delusions, hallucinations, or grossly bizarre/disorganized speech and behavior). This psychotic phase must last for at least one month. Schizophrenia also causes impairment in social or vocational functioning which must last for at least 6 months. The psychotic phase is not due to a medical condition, medication, or illegal drug.
Antipsychotic medication shortens the duration of psychosis in Schizophrenia, and prevents recurrences (but psychotic relapses can still occur under stress). Usually it takes years before individuals can accept that they have Schizophrenia and need medication. When individuals stop their antipsychotic medication, it may take months (or even years) before they suffer a psychotic relapse. Most, however, relapse within weeks. After each psychotic relapse there is increased intellectual impairment.
Antipsychotic medication usually prevents suicide, minimizes rehospitalization, and dramatically improves social functioning. Unfortunately, even on antipsychotic medication, most individuals with Schizophrenia can't return to gainful employment due to the intellectual impairments caused by this illness.

Life-long treatment with antipsychotic medication is essential for recovery from Schizophrenia. Individuals also require long-term emotional and financial support from their families. Most individuals with Schizophrenia qualify for government (or insurance) disability pensions. Social rehabilitation (e.g., club-houses, supervised social activities) and sheltered/volunteer employment are also essential. Certain illicit drugs, especially cannabis, have been shown to actually cause Schizophrenia.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Zovirax
|
Users who thank Zovirax for this post: guest46086 

replied June 26th, 2011
Experienced User
Your post is the most logical assessment of Schizophrenia I've heard so far.
|

replied June 28th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
I despise this post.

What hallucinations, what delusions, what psychosis? Stop throwing words around as if you knew what they meant, all that you know of these words is the very small view and perception of what these people look like and do, without any understanding.

All b s really, others would call them hallucinations, or delusions, but they couldn't see what I was seeing. And it was some very real shtuff by the way. Things just get jumbled up by people, you tell one guy that you saw a man with a green shirt, and billions of people later, you saw a man with a green shirt fly up in the air do a dance come back down and put on a straw hat and then jump off a cliff.

Illicit drugs don't cause the psychotic phase, but they do cause schizophrenia. So, schizophrenia isn't a psychotic phase, your schizophrenic after the psychotic phase?

I was under the impression that part of schizophrenia was the psychotic phase. Which drugs don't cause, they can only cause the schizophrenia.

Okay, agreed, drugs don't cause the psychosis, but do cause schizophrenia.

The most illoigical thing about your post, is that you are calling it schizophrenia, this word needs to be completely thrown out of the dictionary, out of people's minds.

And she got it backwards, drugs can cause you to go bonkers, but don't cause schizophrenia, your just a person on drugs, I don't know what they call that, a huge difference, possibly some similarities between the two but enormously different. You can however be a schizophrenic who has taken drugs though.

The truth is anyone can be schizophrenic, and history has shown that it doesn't matter who you are or what you've done, where you were born, what you've been through, drugs, no drugs, or if you have certain genes, you can be schizophrenic. Not only that, you may have been already and not known it really, that happens also. It's almost as if they were fishing for us, feeling alot of us out so to speak, I guess they catch some of us.

And I especially love the genetic theory, it's in the genes, it would make much more sense to say that it's in the jeans, if you wear levi's loose fit then you have a risk of being schizophrenic, we'll call it the jeanetic theory.

Your post is a lie, or just very delusional, or perhaps you just don't know(another form of delusion). So, stop posting. At least on this issue. You'd probably be better off in the pregnancy forum.
|

replied June 28th, 2011
Experienced User
Sometimes you say the funniest things, oopsagain...

"Things just get jumbled up by people, you tell one guy that you saw a man with a green shirt, and billions of people later, you saw a man with a green shirt fly up in the air do a dance come back down and put on a straw hat and then jump off a cliff."

Can I borrow that one? Very Happy
|

replied June 29th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
I know I know.
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....