Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Abortion and medical help

Good morning,
I am a French lady citizen and as you may know France passed a law back to 1974 to lgalise abortion, this is called "Loi Simone Veil" from the deputy woman who proposed the law. What is interesting is that annual statistics are carried on since 1974 and the number of abortion since 1974 up to now is totally stable: 200,000 abortion per year. Can you explain this? Secondly, I wonder if prolife people refer to the oath of Hippocrates that clearly states: I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give to a woman a pessary to produce abortion. With purity and with holiness I will pass my life and practice my Art." because it is a major argument for French people who are prolife.
Thank you for your kind answer.
Catherine
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 18th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
There may be an increase in abortion because of the change in attitude towards sex? Maybe because people are more aware that they don't have to consider marriage and a lifetime of babies if it isn't what they want?

As far as what pro-life people refer to, that is their own choice. If you don't like abortion, don't have one - it really is that simple Smile
|
Users who thank Moo for this post: cvardi 

replied May 18th, 2013
Maybe I haven't been clear enough in my question. What I was pointed is that abortion even if it has been legalize, the medical staff who carry it on should not refering to the oath of Hippocrates they swear on. Some people in France do not understand why a doctor may refuse to do an abortion, they think they all have to do it because its a law. So the medical staff practising abortion is clearly in violation of this oath. What I wanted to know is do you have physicians or MD who refuse this act because of this oath and also their personal conviction that abortion is a murder? (In the US). Thank you for your answer. Catherine
|

replied May 19th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
The hippocratic oath also makes physicians swear to a number of Greek gods - if they do not believe in them does it make the oath ineffective? As far as I'm aware, it states they wont do harm to anybody - an interpretation could be that an embryo/foetus isn't considered a being, the women is the patient and so they are acting n her best interests.

I'm not in the US but in England medical practitioners have the right to refuse to participate in abortion procedures, except when the life of the woman is in danger.
|

replied May 23rd, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
Incidentally, I don't think there is any kind of pessary used to induce abortion.
|