is it possible if someone was carrying twins that one could be aborted and not the other during a medical/surgical procedure? is there a hormone/other test done after abortion to see if procedure was succesful? if so what and when? 11/13 weeks pregnant.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 27th, 2009
why would you want an abortion. and i dont think you can abort one baby please dont do that its not the babys fault that it is here there is a reason for that baby and its not right to kill it. there are other alternitives than abortion like adoption. its not fair to the baby it could do great things so im sorry you feel that that is the only thing to do but its not
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Experienced User
She's not asking for your input on whether you believe abortions are wrong or not. No I do not believe it is possible but check with your doctor.
|
Users who thank worriedauzzi for this post: wendyrs 

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Supporter
People are so quick to judge without even knowing someone's situation. I've never heard of that happening before, but that's a good question for the doctor.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Experienced User
In thinking about it though I'm not sure how possible it would be as they are still very young at 11-13wks and even if it were possible to abort one I'm not sure how great the survival rate of the other would be. Raising twins would be hard but loosing both instead of just one would be harder. Talk to your doctor and do some research ... but I've been looking around and found little to none information on terminating one and not the other. Looks like your having two. Good luck with what ever you choose.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
well well arent we so rude its a sad thing to do i was just giving my thoughts on it ok so if someone was raped then maybe but if not then it is there own fault they chose to do it so there i did answer the question so i would appriciate it if people would leave me alone on my opion thank you
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Experienced User
Nobody was rude to you, simply telling you that she came here for information on whether it is possible or not. She didn't come on here to hear about how you believe abortion's are wrong. You are not aware of what situation she is in and if you had of answered her question it would of been alright but you didn't you just told her how wrong abortion is. Go to a different post if you want to debate about abortion she is after an answer if you can keep one and not the other.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Experienced User
Nobody was rude to you, simly telling you that she came here for information on whether an abortion of one of the twins are possible. She didn't comne on here to hear about how you believe abortion's are wrong. You are not aware of what situation she is in.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Experienced User
Please ignore first quote .. I wrote it before re reading your original post.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Supporter
I think we're misinterpreting her question. I don't think she is trying to abort one twin but asking if it is possible if someone was pregant with twins and possibly didn't know it, had an abortion, and only one twin was aborted leaving the unknown twin still in the womb.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
oh ok i guess so
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
Yes, you can abort one, but from my understanding, there are risked involved to the surviving fetus. This is something you would need to get a doctors opinion on for your personal situation.
And, for those who need a reason, sometimes one baby will test positive for down syndrome and the other will not. Not all parents are prepared to bring a down baby into the world, and I for one think it is cruel to knowingly do that. (Although for this situation, I doubt that's the case).
|

replied April 17th, 2011
Aborting a twin
A friend of mine just aborted a twin. One twin is fine but the other has excess water in its skull and would have been severely retarded when it was born. She is now at 7 months with the surviving twin and everything is looking ok.
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2011
Supporter
It is called Selective Abortion
It is possible to abort one or more fetuses while remaining pregnant. It is called selective abortion. The term is used most often for two circumstances: for multiple births and for sex selection. When a person uses medications to increase the number of eggs plus intrauterine insemination, it is hard to control the number of eggs that will become fertilized and implant. In vitro fertilization controls the number of fertilized eggs but is more expensive than IUI. The woman or couple may only want one child but wind up with 2 or more fetuses.(Remember John and Kate plus eight? When they became pregnant with the six younger kids they only wanted one more child to complete their family.) If the couple only wants one child, they might elect to abort the other fetuses. Most often, though, the procedure is used when there are so many fetuses that all of them and the mother are endangered. The chances of complications and preterm birth go up greatly with the number of fetuses. So, to increase the chances of the survival of less babies, the number is reduced. This procedure can endanger the remaining fetus(es) but if done early on in the pregnancy, the risk is minimal.

The other instance where this procedure is used often is for sex selection. I hear about this happening often in countries where male children are more valued than female children- especially in China where most families have only one child due to the country's one child policy. (They can have more children but it is encouraged that they have only one and will lose many government benefits and incur fines if they opt to have more.) Sex selection abortion, child abandonment and female infanticide have been done so much in China that in the next few decades the males will greatly outnumber the females which will cause a bit of a crisis. It is such a problem that China has banned selective abortion for anything but health problems but I am sure parents will find way around this. India is another country that uses sex selective abortion. But in their case, it is because of a preference for males as well as a desire to avoid paying expensive dowries for their daughters.

I didn't mean to write a novel but find this topic fascinating, especially since the devaluation of females will cause them to be in great demand once all those preferred males begin looking for partners. I also think it's sadly ironic that people who desperately want a child are those who use selective abortion the most in western world.
|

replied August 6th, 2011
selective abortion
deteragram could you tell me more about if this is availiable in the uk? I am 21 weeks pregnant with twin boys and just found out yesterday that the smaller twin has problems with one of its kidneys and a cyst on its brain that coupled with the fact that it is always much less active and always has a slower heart rate made my Dr suspicious that it could have an extra chromosom, I had the amnio test thing and have to wait four days now until i know if it had downs syndrome, the Dr wont discuss options until the results for both twins comes in, I get the impression that the other twin is as fit as a fiddle, they were both in the lowest percentile for downs at the first scan so this is the first time i have been tested, but i am going out of my mind with worry, and if it does have downs i am not the type that could handle it, plus i already have 2 children to consider, would it come down to having to lose both babys?
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2011
Supporter
esmaralda222, I live in the United States and do not know anything about the use of selective abortion in the UK. I do know this, though: each case is different and only a qualified physician can tell you what the risk of terminating one fetus is as opposed to the danger of continuing the pregnancy with the defective fetus. Both usually result in preterm labor. I know you are going crazy with worry but I can only suggest that you wait to hear from your doctor. He or she will advise you as to the dangers of continuing the pregnancy with both fetuses as well as the risks involved with selective abortion.
Good luck. I hope the doctor has better news for you.
|

replied December 7th, 2011
Down Syndrome
several years ago i would also have called myself "not the type who could handle it" and would have, without a doubt, aborted my son if i had known he had Ds. he never had any markers and screened negative on the NT, but was diagnosed with trisomy 21 a week after he arrived. i felt guilty and cruel and worried that he would "suffer" in this world and that it would be such a "poor quality of life" for him, for me, for my marriage, for my other kids. now i realize i was SO ignorant about Down syndrome, as well as what "quality of life" really means. who was i to judge?? just because i have an ivy league degree and a career -- i knew what happiness was and my life was the standard for judging "quality of life"??? NO WAY! he is the best thing that has happened to everyone in his life. he is pure joy. he is not suffering! he teaches the rest of us what it truly means to live and to enjoy life and we were not cruel to bring him here.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....