User Profile
I had a period a while ago of feeling nauseas and funny and then passing out, coming to having bitten my lip or hurt myself.Sometimes I would just have the strange nausea, feeling as if something is going to happen that could wake me up at night.Sometimes I would wake up feeling like that, go to the bathroom thinking I might throw up and then I would pass out. My sister witness one of these events and rushed me to the A&E and they said I might have epilepsy.I had two EEGs, including sleep deprived and an MRI. The EEGs are said to both show some minimal abnormalities described as non-specific transients more right-sided. The MRI brain shows a slight enlargement of the right temporal horn. But neither showed any signs for epilepsy. I decided then that that is good enough for me and never went back to the doctor and threw the medication away. I don't get these episodes anymore. What does the abnormality on my EEG and MRI indicate, if anything at all and should I have this followed up?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2010
Epilepsy Answer A9646
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

EEG findings as described are non specific and transient minimal abnormalities which I do not think need to be worried about. MRI finding is again non specific and is not possible to come to any conclusion. Epilepsy doesn’t show any abnormalities on MRI, unless it is associated with organic pathology like tumors and space occupying lesions which you fortunately do not have as it would have shown up on MRI.

It is quite possible that your episodes of nausea and fainting are unrelated to neurological status, and may well be due to some kind of alteration in blood pressure and very commonly due to food poisoning.

As you are no longer having any symptoms, I do not feel that it requires any further investigation, but it is a good idea to see your doctor for a routine examination. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.