Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Abnormal uterine bleeding and its treatment

User Profile
I am currently on the birth control pill and have been for several years. The last time my boyfriend and I had intercourse I started to bleed right away and the blood was black and lasted for around a week. I was not due to start my period for several more days. After a week the blood turned a bright red and I have been bleeding for 14 days now and it is not lightening up and I am back on the pill after the one week break. Today I had a thick sticky mass that was red and white. I have never had this before and am getting very worried. I am also having light cramps low in my belly. Please explain what I should do or what may be wrong. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2008
Menstruation Answer A5055

It seems that the symptoms you described such as an excessive and prolonged uteral bleeding with dark blood clots and lower abdominal cramps might indicate an abnormal condition called menorrhagia. Multiple organic pathologies can present themselves as abnormal vaginal bleeding, including lower level of platelets, lowered/increased function of thyroid gland, liver dysfunctions, hypertension, diabetes, and adrenal disorders. Pregnancy may be associated with vaginal bleeding that might be reported as abnormal for the woman in terms of timing, amount, or duration. Moreover, trauma to the cervix, vulva, or vagina could also cause abnormal bleeding. Structural disorders, such as functional ovarian cysts, cervicitis, endometritis, salpingitis, and myomas could be taken under consideration. Disbalance in sexual hormones, polycystic ovarian syndrome, vaginal infection, polyps, ectopic pregnancy, increased exercise performance or, simply, stress are recommended to be ruled out by a medical professional. It may be important to add that so called breakthrough bleeding might occur in patients taking oral contraceptives that have inadequate doses of estrogen and progestin for that patient.

However, It is advisable for you to visit your gynecologist, who might want to perform a bimanual pelvic examination, laboratory tests (hormonal and other), a transvaginal ultrasound and other interventions (only if needed) to rule out the exact cause of this abnormal uteral bleeding and prescribe an adequate treatment to have it stopped.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.