I am a 20 year old female and have been having some problems recently. A couple of weeks ago I began to experience really bad urethral pain. I had urgency and frequency when voiding and assumed it was a UTI ( I am a student nurse) I went to the doctor and he confirmed it as a UTI as there was leukocytes in my urine as well as the symptoms, he also added hat I had renal tenderness and said that it might also be a kidney infection and therefore put me on Ciprofloxacin and Tramadol. The pain went away with the painkillers and everything seemed to be ok. A couple of days after I finished the full course of antibiotics the pain came back again in the same region.. I went back to the doctor and the urinalysis was clear he therefore gave me Buscopan for the spasm. In the next couple of weeks I started to get flank pain. Not severe enough to be kidney stones I didn't do much about it and it went away a couple of hours later.

Today whilst on placement in the hospital I started to feel tired and unwell and carried out another Urinalysis on myself, the results were as following.

Trace/+ protein
Moderate/++ blood (specs of colour as opposed to a uniform colour)
SG 1.030
pH 5/6
Billirubin trace

The urine itself was quite cloudy and had stringy particles in it. I am not on my period and am not due one for
another week and it was definitely a urine sample and nothing else. I feel slightly more lethargic and dizzy at times. I was considering going to my doctor and asking for a U&E and and FBC but was wondering if these results are normal and with my history could it be something other than a UTI, a kidney problem of sorts? Again I am student nurse and know some basic things like the fact that there shouldn't be blood in my urine.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2014
hi there
microscopic hematuria can occur after a pyelonephritis sometimes it may take a year.

i would like to run some tests:
urinalysis
urine culture
renal function tests
ultrasound abdomen pelvis

hematuria can occur with stones,infection,nephritis etc

consult a urologist for proper management.
regards
thanks for using ehealth forum.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.