Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Abdominal wall weak spots and hernias

User Profile
hello
nearly 3 weeks ago i was doing some squats at the gym. when i came to lift the weights over my head at the end i struggled. in bed at night my abs felt really uncomfortable at about an inch ti the left/below my belly button. a few days later i also had a pain in my left groin and tesicle.
the pain in my groin and tesicle has now gone but my abs are still uncomfortable. it feels like something is trying to push out. there is now lump. i also have not been to the toilet as much and am producing stools half the size of normal. i still feel full after!
i have been to the docs 3 times and they says it not a hernia. on the 3rd visit he gave me some medication for IBS and still does not think its a hernia. in fact he said he does not know what it is but will start with IBS and a blood test.
please can you give any advice as it is driving me up the wall! thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2010
Hernia Answer A14984
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

There are so-called weak spots on the front abdominal wall where hernias can be formed. One of these spots is the inguinal canal and the vertical lines that cross the umbilicus and the other on nearly 3 cm aside from the umbilicus. Conditions that cause an increase of the abdominal pressure such as weight lifting, pushing or pulling may cause protrusion of the peritoneum or intestines through one of the weak spots.

According to the data that you described, you experience pain in the abdomen. You may experience the pain due to the increased abdominal pressure on the front abdominal muscle wall although a hernia is not formed yet. Avoid any physical activity that causes an increase of the abdominal pressure such as pushing, pulling, or weight lifting.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.