Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Recovery & Post-Op Forum

abdominal wall cavity abscess drained, but slow to heal

User Profile
I had an abdominal wall cavity abscess that was drained under anaesthetic 3 weeks ago. I have been having daily dressing changes done since then but the wound is still extremely sore and oozing lots of pus and blood. The consultant has prescribed some antibiotics to me yesterday. The pain has started reducing since surgery but this week the pain has been unbearable. What could be the cause of this and why would it take so long to heal? I am an otherwise fit and healthy 25 year old. Should anti biotics have been prescribed from start since the drainage?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A37250
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

If the abscess wound is taking so long to heal I suggest you get a pus culture and sensitivity done. This will give an idea about what bacteria is causing the infection and the antibiotics that will work. Also if you have diabetes then this can delay healing. Please take blood tests to rule this out.

At times abdominal wall abscess makes a connection with the insides of abdomen called fistulas. Even these can be painful. Please consult your doctor about wound cleaning and further care. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Recovery & Post-Op , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.