Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

abdominal pains after period for the past 7 yrs.

User Profile
I am 22yrs old and I've been experiencing right lower abdominal pains after period for the past 7 yrs. its a combination of diclofenac and buscopan injections that makes it go. what can I do to prevent this from occurring after my next period

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 19th, 2014
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A48823

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Menstrual cramp in medical terminology is called dysmenorrhea. This is basically of 2 types, primary and secondary. In primary dysmenorrhea which is seen in young women at the beginning of the menstrual cycle hasn’t got any underlying pathology. However, in secondary dysmenorrhea, there’s some underlying pathology (disease process) responsible for the cramps. An ultrasound of the pelvis helps in finding the underling pathology. Menstrual cramps are commonly thought to occur due to a narrow cervical canal (opening of the uterus into the vagina), a uterus that is bent backwards (retroverted uterus), lack of exercise and emotional/psychological factors.

The pain is due to the release of the prostaglandins which are responsible for the contractions of the uterus and facilitate in pushing the products of conception out of the uterus. Anti-inflammatory agents like ibuprofen, naproxen or mefenamic acid help in relieving the cramps but these need to be taken around 1-2 days before the start of the periods for best results.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.